News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Specialty tools

Started by Ghoste, August 31, 2012, 08:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Just for fun, at what point do you pull the trigger on buying a specialty tool?  I typically find that if I have to borrow one from somebody more than three times within approximately a 24 month period I will usually buy one for myself.

elacruze

I was always a professional mechanic, so for me it was purchase after the second time I borrowed one.

OTOH sometimes nobody had what I needed, so my box is full of tools I paid $80 for and made $60 with one time.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Fred

Tools are worth there weight in gold. They improve the job at hand 100%. I never skimp on them. I need it, I buy it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

tan top

just bought  what i need  over the years !!  have everything   in the garages at home !  should the need arise
can do anyjob .
apart from  engine machining  / chrome plating /  wheel balancing / tire fitting  ,  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

A383Wing

I usually buy it after 2 times on borrowing one....and I have done that, never to use that tool again

Bryan

69rtse4spd

Most the time nobody has what I need, so I either buy it or make it. But through the  years have gotten about everthing I needed. Now I am building engine run stands & all the other stuff I do not really need but something to do. More than twice is the limit.   

Chryco Psycho

I am the guy people look to for help so I have very few people to borrow from so if the tool is needed I buy it , I may not make much on the first job but it will pay back on the 2-3 job .

John_Kunkel

I am a confessed "tool freak", even if I don't anticipate a lot of usage I'll still buy the tool; the exception is when the tool is really expensive, then I pause.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

IF the tool is cheap enough, I buy it. If it's expensive and looks to be fairly simple, I buy it, take it to one of my buddies with CNC, get it "Copied" and return it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

If it's something I'm pretty sure I'll only use once I usually won't bother unless it's dirt cheap. A lot of the time I can cobble something together and get it to work as long as it's needed, but other times I've had to cave in and cough up the dough.

Silver R/T

I always buy tools that I know I'll use more than once.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on August 31, 2012, 08:12:00 AM
Just for fun, at what point do you pull the trigger on buying a specialty tool?  I typically find that if I have to borrow one from somebody more than three times within approximately a 24 month period I will usually buy one for myself.

You already have lots of hammers, why would you want a specialty hammer?  :nana:

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Sometimes you just need a newer shinier one with frickin lasers on it.  :lol:

Tilar

I used to figure the cost of the tool vs the labor I would lose by not having it. Now if it will save me a busted knuckle it's in one of my tool boxes. If I had all the money i've spent on tools over the course of my lifetime I could easily buy another house.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Fred

or at the very least a shed. :yesnod:

Tilar

Quote from: Fred on September 06, 2012, 09:51:44 PM
or at the very least a shed. :yesnod:

lol yeah... One with a concrete floor, plenty of insulation, heat and big enough to put my cars in.  :2thumbs:
Dave  

JB400

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 31, 2012, 10:14:11 PM
I am the guy people look to for help so I have very few people to borrow from so if the tool is needed I buy it , I may not make much on the first job but it will pay back on the 2-3 job .
Just don't loan them out to anybody, they don't come back.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 07, 2012, 03:39:31 PM

Boy have I learnt that lesson.

The two things you never lend to anyone, your tools and your Mrs. because they're guaranteed to ome back f****ed!  :lol:

JB400

Quote from: Fred on September 07, 2012, 10:04:10 PM

The two things you never lend to anyone, your tools and your Mrs. because they're guaranteed to ome back f****ed!  :lol:
Then there's that possibity of neither one coming back:-)

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2012, 11:19:40 AM

I'd be really upset if I didn't get my tools back.  :icon_smile_big:

Tilar

Quote from: Fred on September 08, 2012, 08:26:35 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2012, 11:19:40 AM

The two things you never lend to anyone, your tools and your Mrs. because they're guaranteed to ome back f****ed!  :lol:

I'd be really upset if I didn't get my tools back.  :icon_smile_big:

That sounds like a guy I used to work with. He had a friend, and they used to go out fishing a lot.  His wife ended up running off with his fishing buddy and he used to tell people "My wife ran off with my fishing buddy, and I sure do miss him."  :rofl:
Dave  

Ghoste

Do any of you guys own Chrysler specialty tools?  That is to say the ones the dealerships were forced to buy back in the day such as torsion bar removal tool.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2012, 03:10:44 PM
Do any of you guys own Chrysler specialty tools?  That is to say the ones the dealerships were forced to buy back in the day such as torsion bar removal tool.

Funny you asked this question about T-bars Ghoste, as i just swapped my first ever set of upgrade T-bars. i never cared before, but since driving my factory BB Charger, I decided to upgrade the challenger's bars to the .960 Bars from MP.
I made my T-bar removal tool based on what I've seen out there. I did have to buy the Ball joint sockets.(Both). A friend said he could make me a set like he had, but never came through.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

hemi71x

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2012, 03:10:44 PM
Do any of you guys own Chrysler specialty tools?  That is to say the ones the dealerships were forced to buy back in the day such as torsion bar removal tool.

I have 1965, 66, 68, 69 special tool kits that i purchased from time to time, in the past.
A few of those tools have saved my ass in many a repair.
But some of them i never used, and most likely never will.

And the official Miller Special Tools, torsion bar removal tool, in the last pictures.
Ya, that one has been beat on quite a few times, removing some very stubborn bars.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany