News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

361 compression

Started by kedso, July 21, 2012, 01:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kedso

Hi all
I am helping my friend with his 66 361 charger.  It has no compression in #1 cylinder like less than 10 psi.  I pulled the head and the valves look OK.  Could I lose all the compression because of a broken ring?  I hate to tear into the bottom end for no good reason.  So I thoought I would ask here first. :brickwall:

c00nhunterjoe

since you have already removed the head it makes it more difficult. You should have put air in the cylinder when it was still together to see where it was leaking.

cdr

POUR some fluid ,ie laquer thinner ,solvent,into the port with the port up & see if it pours out at the valve seat,do both intake & exh
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

kedso

I can put the head back on.  I want to watch the valve train action.  Then I can hit it with pressure.  I checked the valves they look real good.  I better put some of the accessories back on before I forget how they went.

kedso

OK heres what I found.  The bad cylinder had broken rings.  They were all glued in with carbon gunk and broken into alot of small parts.  some were trying to pass around others.  The ring grooves are all chewed on one side.  I have never seen a piston this messed up.  Anyone have any thoughts on the problem?  I'm thinking bad oil additive or bad gas.  thoughts? :flame:

c00nhunterjoe

Pictures?  What's th history? Been sitting?

kedso

Ok thecar has been sitting from 1977.  with this problem the owner never got to fix it.  The bore looks OK I need to check size and roundness.

c00nhunterjoe

Impressive. That piston is trashed. I'm amazed the bore isn't damaged. Odd that only 1 cylinder did that.