News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motor oil smells of gas

Started by sixpack_sid, July 29, 2012, 08:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

My son has a 81 Camaro with a 305. One day he was driving it and he said gas leaked all over the engine from his carb and there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I didn't witness it. Then he parked it and let it sit for a week. Then he came to me and said it looks like there is antifreeze in the oil. I didn't think much of it, but about 1 wk later I pulled the oil dipstick out to take a look and it didn't look milky but it reeked of gas. So my son bought a brand new carb-Holley double pumper. He installed it and the car won't start. He pulled the dipstick and the oil was way over the full line. Then he pulled the spark plug and said fluid was coming out of it. He thought it was antifreeze so I told him to drain the oil and look at the oil to see if there is indeed antifreeze in the oil. When he drained the oil I could smell gas from 30 ft away from the car. I didn't see antifreeze in the oil. It looked a little thin, but that could be from gas mixing in. What is going on here?? Any help would be appreciated. It's been a long battle trying to get this car to be a daily driver. My son put a lot of money into it. I'm stumped on what could be wrong with it.
Thanks for the help!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

BrianShaughnessy

The carb is dumping gas into the motor...   possibly incorrect float bowl adjustment?   Anyway,   it needs an oil change NOW.

The gas dilutes the oil and washes the cylinders and bearings and causes excessive wear in a short amount of time.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

FLG

Mechanical fuel pump?

A bad seal can cause gas to leak out the rear into the engine.

Or a bad Carb causing a flooding condition and gas washing down the cylinder walls.

See if the gas is being dumped down the carb...unplug your ignition system... could backfire into your face

Todd Wilson

I'd check the fuel pump. I just had this happen on my 71 Charger. Pump was leaking gas into the oil pan. Car was still running but running kinda weak.

Todd

F8-4life

For future referance a quick test is, you can pull out the oil dipstick and take a lighter to it. If the oil flames up you have gas in the oil, if it bubbles then you have water(coolent).

myk

Quote from: F8-4life on July 29, 2012, 10:15:25 PM
For future referance a quick test is, you can pull out the oil dipstick and take a lighter to it. If the oil flames up you have gas in the oil, if it bubbles then you have water(coolent).

I like that... :2thumbs: