News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A bit of a rant...dropped a part and the engine bay swallowed it....

Started by Dans 68, July 17, 2012, 06:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

I hate it when your under the car and drop a nut or bolt and you can't find it.

68X426

I can find my nuts, it's the missing bolt that ruins my day.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Or when the socket teases you by being just out of reach, and no matter how hard you try you just can't reach it.

Dans 68

Um, you both are still referring to car parts, right?  :scratchchin:

I have not gotten back to it yet, maybe tomorrow. Like others have said I need to find my BIG magnet wand and start poking around....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Bob T

Dropped a small bolt from the top, didnt hear it hit the floor and a couple of days later I found the swine wedged in between the primaries where the collector forms. And I mean wedged  :pity:
Mr grabby spring loaded claw tool read him his rights tho
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ahhh yes, Mr grabby tool is handy to have to retrieve things that like to evade capture and hide under benches etc...

Dino

Yesterday I dropped the washer that goes onto the long bolt holding the power steering pump and a/c bracket.  Didn't hit the ground.  Then I dropped one of the small nuts holding the spark plug bracket to the valve cover.  Again didn't hit the ground.  5 minutes after that I decided to give the small 7/16 wrench a little tap to loosen a bolt, wrench did a somersault and disappeared into the engine bay, didn't hit the ground.

I can see losing a washer and a nut but how the hell does that thing swallow a wrench?!?!?   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

elacruze

Quote from: 440 on July 21, 2012, 11:56:48 PM
Or when the socket teases you by being just out of reach, and no matter how hard you try you just can't reach it.

Murphy's law # 46;

A dropped socket will always roll to the point under the car furthest from all points of recovery.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Troy

Oddly enough, I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday! I fumbled the alternator and lost that end spacer and the small bolt that goes into the water pump. I heard the bolt and found it but still haven't fount the spacer. My engine bay was slightly disassembled so there's really nowhere for that spacer to hide. I tried the trick of dropping another about 10 times with poor results. From now on I'll put a rag or something spread out underneath like a trapeze net.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 440 on July 21, 2012, 11:51:09 PM
As much as I hate dropping things I've come to appreciate the sound of said dropped item hitting the floor.

Got that right and especially the new sleds because of all the crap to go through :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dans 68

I went back at it today, and found the spacer in about 5 minutes. It was on top of the fuel pump. Go figure, as I looked intently at that device for at least 5 minutes in my initial search. I swear there were nefarious forces at work.... 

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ChgrSteve67

yeah
Mistery solved.

I dropped a instrumentation cluster screw today and spent 20 minutes hunting for it under the front seats.
PITA

Glad you found it.

69rtse4spd

Quote from: Fred on July 18, 2012, 12:54:47 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 17, 2012, 07:40:20 PM
drop something similar in the same place & see where ti goes !

And lose that too!  :lol:

Just drop enough of them to fill up the voids.  :smilielol:.