News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting 8 3/4 Rear End to Posi

Started by MxRacer855, October 01, 2013, 12:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

My 8 3/4 rear end out of my '68 is completely original in every sense... it's roached! I wanted to throw in a Dana 60 complete rear end for the posi traction and durability, but have heard I can get away with throwing posi gears in my standard rear end right now when I rebuild it.

Has anyone done this or know what parts would cost to rebuild a standard 8 3/4 rear end with this setup?

Thanks guys!

-Jeff

John_Kunkel

The "posi" (or limited slip) has nothing to do with the gears, the differential that the ring gear attaches to is what makes it limited slip and this can be added to any 8 3/4" at the same time the center section is rebuilt.

You'll get good advice and good prices from Dr. Diff.

http://www.doctordiff.com/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

There is also an article on it in the current issue of Mopar Action.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 01, 2013, 01:58:36 PM

The "posi" (or limited slip) has nothing to do with the gears, the differential that the ring gear attaches to is what makes it limited slip and this can be added to any 8 3/4" at the same time the center section is rebuilt.

You'll get good advice and good prices from Dr. Diff.

http://www.doctordiff.com/
I second it.   :2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

fy469rtse

Yep done half a dozen rears exactly like this

MxRacer855

Thanks for all of the help guys. I might just try to find a Dana 60 for cheap.

71charger_fan

I picked up a sure grip unit and put it in my 8.75. Even though I'd never worked on a differential before, I found it was a remarkably straight forward job.