News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

N.Y. man nears 3 millionth mile in beloved '66 Volvo

Started by ChgrSteve67, July 09, 2012, 03:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

The Bay Shore, N.Y., retiree expects to hit 3 million miles in his 1966 Volvo P1800S sometime next year. And he has held a solid lock on the Guinness Book of World Records since 2002 when an entry for High Mileage Vehicle was created for him after passing the 1.6 million mile mark.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/09/12642907-ny-man-nears-3-millionth-mile-in-beloved-66-volvo?lite

Second place is still more than 1/4 million miles away from the 1 million mark.

I know 1 millon miles is not uncommon for 18 wheelers and I wonder how many of those have surpassed the 2 or 3 millon mile mark.

I'm really suprised this guys origional motor has lasted 3 million with only two rebuilds.
I also wonder what oil he uses.

TruckDriver

They were talking about that on the radio today here. They think the story is bull shit. They did the math and said the guy would have to have averaged 180 miles per day every day he has owned the car, or 65,000 miles per year. ::)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Big Sugar

Thats Irv Gordon.     When I was in the Volvo cars of America way back in 1987 I met Irv he had already reached his first million and in 1987 (around then) Volvo of north America athenticated his milage claim and he was awarded a brand new 780 coupe .   He does keep a pretty detailed logbook of his adventures as Well.   It took him 30 years to do the first 1 million and now it's taken him 25 to do the latest 2million. ............?...............He was a travelling salesman in the USA for the better part of his career. But Im sure he retired in the 1990's at that time his Volvo would have been 25 years old........maybe the car just kept on working.LOL

Well you know what they say in life. After you earn your first million the next one is easy .

The car has been to europe on many occasions..who knows maybe he drives it there.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Musicman

:o Wow... and here I thought my old D100 with the /6 was doing well at over 500K without a rebuild.

hatersaurusrex

I travel all over Florida for work, and I can tell you going from Jacksonville to Orlando and Tampa once a week put almost 50K miles on my truck in the first year alone.   If he was a travelling sales rep who was rarely home, 65K per year would be hard NOT to do.

In fact I went to the doctor and she said something about me being a truck driver... and I said 'Wait, where'd you get that idea?'  She said 'Well you're always talking about how much you drive your truck' and I was like 'Sorry lady, it's an F150, not a Peterbilt' :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

1974dodgecharger

no rebuild? 3 million or 2.5 come on now...no rebuild?

surmanajaja

half the ppl over here get 60 000 miles a year. my dad was working 200miles from our home, came home every weekend and he used his car on the week too, so our 1976 citroen had 700 000km on odometer with the same engine when he changed it to a 84 citroen bx. that one had 600 000km on it when we changed it in 1995, head broke cam in small pieces once and head casket was changed multiple times but bottom of engine was untouched.

if youre a traveling salesman and have a dependable car that you keep for a long time, a million is not that hard to do, I do know taxi drivers who have around that in an old mercedes.

when I was delivering post on the countryside, that car got 110 miles every day but the gravel roads are so tough on the car, they change them too often to get respectable miles.