News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pete hamilton - nascar . com article

Started by held1823, July 19, 2012, 09:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

http://www.nascar.com/news/120719/maumann-retro-hamilton/index.html

Hamilton does Petty proud with Daytona upset

By Mark Aumann, NASCAR.COM
July 19, 2012 9:55 AM, EDT

Pete Hamilton may have been an unknown to most folks when he showed up in the Cup garage for the 1970 Daytona 500, but Richard Petty was well aware of Hamilton's talents when he decided to add the 27-year-old Massachusetts native as his teammate.

"We had watched him run in the Sportsman deal and watched him at Daytona and knew a little bit about him," Petty said. "He had also run some races for some boys out in Tennessee, so you pay attention to people that's got the talent, no matter what kind of equipment they're in. Pete was way above anybody else we had been looking at. And he proved us right."

Hamilton -- who celebrates his 70th birthday Friday -- scored one of the biggest upset victories in NASCAR history when he outdueled David Pearson in the closing laps to take the checkered flag in NASCAR's biggest race.

But Hamilton was no mere flash in the pan. He swept both Talladega races later that season, proving Petty to be a pretty good judge of driving talent.

Plymouth was itching to unveil its new high-winged Superbird for 1970, and wanted Petty Enterprises to expand to a two-car operation on high-banked speedways. Petty remembered the initial talks with the brass in Detroit about whom he should put in the other car.

"Plymouth gave us an idea of three or four drivers to drive one of the Superbirds," Petty said. "And Pete's name was dead on top, as far as we were concerned."

Hamilton may not have been a household name, but he was well-known in certain racing circles.

Hamilton started driving in Norwood Arena's street division in 1962, taking home a purse consisting of "10 bucks and a Coke" from his first race. Moving up the ladder, Hamilton began to make a name for himself in the Northeast when he captured a Thompson Speedway track championship three years later.

But, despite earning national championship honors in NASCAR's Sportsman Division in 1967, Hamilton realized he needed to move south if he wanted to get the attention of car owners in Cup.

He did just that in 1968, scoring six top-10 finishes in 16 starts and beating out Dave Marcis and Dr. Don Tarr for rookie of the year honors. But without a full-time ride the following year, Hamilton decided to run the Grand American Series instead, recording 12 wins in 26 races.

That definitely got the attention of both Plymouth and Petty, and Hamilton was hired to drive the No. 40 team car for selected races in 1970. And right from the first practice at Daytona, Hamilton proved to be fast and easy on his equipment.

"He had already run some superspeedway races," Petty said. "It wasn't a deal of us telling him how to drive the car. It was about him getting the car set up. The Superbird was brand new to everybody. Nobody knew really what to do with it."

Still, when it came to the race, Plymouth's main hopes rested on Petty's shoulders. But when Petty's engine blew just nine laps in, Hamilton found himself in the unexpected position of providing the main challenge to Pearson's Ford as the race wound down.

With 14 laps remaining, Hamilton followed Pearson into the pits for what was expected to be the final stop of the day for each, with both drivers taking two tires. But when Richard Brooks spun on the following lap, Petty -- stationed in Hamilton's pit -- alertly signaled Hamilton to come right back in for two more tires.

And when the race resumed, Hamilton's four fresher tires proved to be the difference.

"In fact, that's the reason why he won the race," Petty said. "He was outhandling everybody, including Pearson."

Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, Hamilton repeated his winning ways twice at Talladega. He scored 10 top-fives, finishing 21st in the points despite running just 16 of 48 races. Moving over to Cotton Owens for 1971, Hamilton won a Daytona qualifier and a pair of poles. But soon after, manufacturers began withdrawing their support -- and money.

And Hamilton wound up being the odd man out.

"He went out and won three big races [for Petty Enterprises]," Petty said. "Daytona and a couple of Talladegas. He done a really, really good job. Then, the factories got out of it so we didn't have a ride for him, but he done a super job for us."

Hamilton retired as a driver two years later, walking away from the sport at age 30. He became a respected car builder and was inducted into the inaugural class of the New England Auto Racers Hall of Fame in 1998.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

oldcarnut

First time I really noticed the spoiler

odcics2

Ever notice how interest in wing car race history is lacking???   <sigh>
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on July 20, 2012, 03:42:12 PM
Ever notice how interest in wing car race history is lacking???   <sigh>

Are you talking about here, or in general? 

tan top

good stuff thanks for posting  :cheers: :yesnod:

wonder the 43 superbird never had that lower front spoiler  :scratchchin:  or it did , but never seen or cant remember seeing ,   a picture of it fitted
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Quote from: oldcarnut on July 19, 2012, 11:02:32 PM
First time I really noticed the spoiler

Just about every Superbird ran a different spoiler configuration at that first Daytona race.   Different things were being tried. 

pettybird

is it reflection on the nose or did the car get *that* sandblasted at the race?

held1823

Quote from: odcics2 on July 20, 2012, 03:42:12 PM
Ever notice how interest in wing car race history is lacking???   <sigh>

i attempted to start a race history series last year. it made it to the second driver, before i asked gene to remove it from life support.

just as well, i suppose. i lost hundreds of race photos (as well as the entire VIN database i had spent too many hours working on) when a hard drive went belly up, a week after i had to use the backup drive for other purposes.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

I remember that attempt at educating the masses!    I, for one, was looking forward to the series....    Your efforts were appreciated.

Aero426 - my comment was directed at this site.

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on July 20, 2012, 06:18:41 PM
:smilielol: i think he took it for a test drive out on the beach
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: odcics2 on July 21, 2012, 08:21:24 AM
I remember that attempt at educating the masses!    I, for one, was looking forward to the series....    Your efforts were appreciated.

Aero426 - my comment was directed at this site.
I agree I though ernies thread was fantastic , i just think he didnt give it enought time , alot of people breeze in and out and are not here everyday
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on July 20, 2012, 06:18:41 PM

Yes, Daytona is very abrasive with all the sand blowing around.    It is easy to tell if it was practice, the 125 or late in the 500 by looking at the paint on the noses.    The A-pillar trim gets sandblasted dull and the windows get it too.    Darlington is like this too.    Milt Wood ran there with his Charger, and lets say that it it added to its patina.  Here is another shot from the 500 of a nose all blasted up.

odcics2

Hmmm, I've seen that car before... 

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on July 21, 2012, 02:54:30 PM
Hmmm, I've seen that car before...  

I think you have been crawled in and under it more than Ken and I have.    

I am out polishing the silver the newly reunited silver this afternoon.   This is the before shot.   Been working on it in the evenings.   I can do about 15 minutes worth at a time.  About half way done so far.      

Ghoste

odcics2

Reunited after all these years!!   Excellent!   

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on July 21, 2012, 08:47:24 PM
Your efforts look great!

Thanks, that is the "as received" shot.    It's pretty tarnished.   It actually seems to be chrome plated.   Silver polish did not touch it.   Mothers metal polish  and some 0000 steel wool seems to work.   I will take some new shots and tell the story of good luck and karma. 

Ghoste

I look forward to the after shots then, it shines great in that pic. :lol: