News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is the General Lee Charger at Pioneer Auto Museum (SD) for real?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, July 19, 2012, 01:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Said it was a "real General Lee", but what does "real" mean?  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Like implants, if you can touch it, it's real.
There are a LOT of those claimed "real" or "genuine" GL's out there and almost none of them are.  Look at how shiny and well put together that car is. I call  :icon_bs:

skip68

I'm with Ghoste on this one.   Waaaaaay toooooooooo clean.   Unless it's been restored but not likely IMHO.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

charger01

If Iam not mistaking.  Only Lee 3 had headrests. the rest of the Lees never had them.  Since this is obviously not lee3.  cant be real and its too clean. :icon_smile_big:

kikgas01

Not real. Wheel trim and side markers? Nope, the surviving ones have no side markers and big pushbars.

c00nhunterjoe

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: charger01 on July 20, 2012, 12:48:21 PM
If Iam not mistaking.  Only Lee 3 had headrests. the rest of the Lees never had them.  Since this is obviously not lee3.  cant be real and its too clean. :icon_smile_big:

Did Lee 3 have 14" wheels? :popcrn:

skip68

Not trying to brag, but if you see the car below, "my car" you will know the answer.  
I bought this car directly from Warner Bros and drove it home in the fall of 1986.
Beautiful car outside and in with a crappy 318 motor.  No wiper motor, no power brakes, no power steering, no brake lights and no back seat.  But it was a real GENERAL LEE and for $3,500 how could you go wrong.......  
I spent lots of time just waxing my car and thinking I was cool because it was mine.  
I've been offered a pretty penny for this car and even had John Schneider track me down and try to buy it.  This car still looks like it did when I brought it home 26 years ago.  If you don't believe me just ask Joey Gowdy. He put this deal together for me back in 86 because he had inside connections because of him being an actor, writer and good old boy.   I'm forever in his debt.    
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Daytona R/T SE

I was at the museum on 2004.

I took pictures of the signs on the wall behind the General Lee.

Here they are...

moparstuart

Quote from: skip68 on July 21, 2012, 12:40:40 AM
Not trying to brag, but if you see the car below, "my car" you will know the answer.  
I bought this car directly from Warner Bros and drove it home in the fall of 1986.
Beautiful car outside and in with a crappy 318 motor.  No wiper motor, no power brakes, no power steering, no brake lights and no back seat.  But it was a real GENERAL LEE and for $3,500 how could you go wrong.......  
I spent lots of time just waxing my car and thinking I was cool because it was mine.  
I've been offered a pretty penny for this car and even had John Schneider track me down and try to buy it.  This car still looks like it did when I brought it home 26 years ago.  If you don't believe me just ask Joey Gowdy. He put this deal together for me back in 86 because he had inside connections because of him being an actor, writer and good old boy.   I'm forever in his debt.    
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so full of crap with a straight face
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

chargerjy9

I saw "the real" GL for sale here in SE MI. It was "signed, documented" etc. it was a POS, beat up, ratty, trashed interior, asking price was over $90K. who are they kidding? I must admit that I never liked that car and all the "yeehaw" stuff surrounding it. It seems that a lot of good cars were trashed and lost forever to promote the "legend".
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

charger01

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on July 21, 2012, 01:24:52 AM
I was at the museum on 2004.

I took pictures of the signs on the wall behind the General Lee.

Here they are...

Never mind I guess it is real.  It says so.

model maker

Is that a 68 or am i seeing a reflection on the front fender ? beautiful GL ! :2thumbs:
Bert
MODEL MAKER

kikgas01

Beautiful car outside and in with a crappy 318 motor.  No wiper motor, no power brakes, no power steering, no brake lights and no back seat.  But it was a real GENERAL LEE and for $3,500 how could you go wrong....... 
I've been offered a pretty penny for this car and even had John Schneider track me down and try to buy it.  This car still looks like it did when I brought it home 26 years ago.  If you don't believe me just ask Joey Gowdy. He put this deal together for me back in 86 because he had inside connections because of him being an actor, writer and good old boy.   I'm forever in his debt.   
This car? A REAL General?????

Indygenerallee

Hell, In 1986 Joey Gowdy would have been like 13??? Skip is having a laugh!  :smilielol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

skip68

Yes it's a 68. And yes it's a real GENERAL LEE.  It's just as real as Joey's acting career. 
:smilielol:

Tilar

Ya know, I've never done drugs... much... But I want some of what you're on.  :2thumbs:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

kikgas01

I think I peed a little. Thanks for the laugh guys.LMFAO!

UH60L

Quote from: chargerjy9 on July 21, 2012, 09:50:06 AM
I saw "the real" GL for sale here in SE MI. It was "signed, documented" etc. it was a POS, beat up, ratty, trashed interior, asking price was over $90K. who are they kidding? I must admit that I never liked that car and all the "yeehaw" stuff surrounding it. It seems that a lot of good cars were trashed and lost forever to promote the "legend".

There's always gotta be one.........

No WAY!, You don't think it's worth what they were asking AND you "never liked that car and all the "yeehaw" stuff surrounding it"? 

Not sure what "legend" your refering to.

In 1968, Dodge made/sold 96,100 chargers.  In 1969, Dodge made/sold 89,199.  Based on several different people's statements I've read over the years, there were approximately 305 chargers destroyed during the dukes of hazzard TV show filming.

IE, the total number of cars destroyed equates roughly to 0.16 percent of all 1968 and 1969 dodge chargers produced.

I never hear any of the dukes haters lamenting the thousands of chargers that were crushed in wrecking yards in the '80s...........weird....     :scratchchin:

kikgas01

Quote from: UH60L on July 21, 2012, 07:50:18 PM
Quote from: chargerjy9 on July 21, 2012, 09:50:06 AM

There's always gotta be one.........

No WAY!, You don't think it's worth what they were asking AND you "never liked that car and all the "yeehaw" stuff surrounding it"? 

Not sure what "legend" your refering to.

In 1968, Dodge made/sold 96,100 chargers.  In 1969, Dodge made/sold 89,199.  Based on several different people's statements I've read over the years, there were approximately 305 chargers destroyed during the dukes of hazzard TV show filming.

IE, the total number of cars destroyed equates roughly to 0.16 percent of all 1968 and 1969 dodge chargers produced.

I never hear any of the dukes haters lamenting the thousands of chargers that were crushed in wrecking yards in the '80s...........weird....     :scratchchin:
QUICK, WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON???? Just think, there are roughly 1000 to 1,500 Generals now. Just think how many was SAVED from the crusher and 100 grand invested in them.......

Ghoste

Official signs from the selling agent or not, I still remain a non-believer.