News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock Trans cooler

Started by pullrock, July 06, 2012, 03:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrock

How do you identify if your car came with a stock trans cooler? I have a 68 R/T but the original 22" radiator is long gone.  The car does have a trans cooler on it now and there is clip that bolts to the transmission to hold the lines in place that kind of looks stock? My car does not have a build sheet for that car which could have that information on it?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

John_Kunkel

All cars of that era with an automatic trans had a cooler in the bottom tank of the radiator, an auxillary external cooler was optional on some models; these external coolers were run in series with the radiator (IE, one line into the radiator, then out of the radiator into the external cooler and back to the trans).

If you have a stand-alone external cooler it isn't factory.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pullrock

Thanks for your response.  I have an aftermarket trans cooler as well but wanted to go back to stock. I have an correct 22" part number matching radiator for my car but it needs to be rebuilt.  I was told that the after market trans cools could block the cooling capacity of the radiator as it mounted to the front of it?  Is this correct? I have many after market trans coolers mount to the from of the radiator.  This is the standard location?

Thanks,

Eric

Just 6T9 CHGR

68-70 Chargers equipped with the Hemi were the only models that got a factory auxiliary trans cooler.

If you are having the radiator recored, try & use a High Efficiency core that has more fins/tubes per square inch over a standard core.  

Yes the trans cooler is commonly mounted in front of the radiator but the airflow restriction will be minimal.

I am running a plate style cooler as well as an A/C condenser in front of my radiator with no cooling issues....just drove 3 hrs to Carlisle, PA in 95º heat & the temp never went over 190º for the engine :Twocents:  
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

A383Wing

I got a stand alone trans cooler in front of the radiator on the Daytona....and I'm not connected to the radiator

Bryan  (no cooling issues here either)