News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

starting restoration

Started by flathead1946, July 10, 2012, 07:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flathead1946

To all, I am seeking opinions on where to start on the restoration of my 1968 Charger. It has been completely gutted and will be coming out of the body shop soon (Black). I believe I have most of the parts to put it together. Should I start on the interior first? Heater box, then wire harness, then dash, headliner, glass, trim? On the exterior wire harness, then engine/tranny? thanks for the advice in advance.

twodko

Congrats on your car coming home soon. Were it me first thing to do is cover the fresh exterior with something protective. Ask your body shop what they use. Mine uses plastic sheeting and blue painters tape. I did the same AND covered the hood and trunk with Harbor Freight moving blankets. If your heater box is out restore it and reinstall. Then wiring harness, replace dash, do headliner, install package tray with speaks, install new quarter glass, install rear door panels, install back seat back cushion, insulate floor pans, lay carpet, install rear seat cushion, install console, install door glass, front seats and door panels.
Move to the engine bay and finish wiring harness. At this point I'd install motor on K frame with tranny. Get the engine bay back together and start on the ext trim.
This is how mine went and I was not overwhelmed with the piddly stuff. My drive train was finished when I bought the car so that was one big step I didn't have to take.
This is only the way I did it. Other members will chime in here with far more experience than me. Good luck and progress pix please........your "car history" binder will thank you.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

richRTSE