News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are TTI headers worth it??

Started by RKCHARGER, June 10, 2012, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKCHARGER

Alright guys, here is the deal after 6+ hours of trying to negotiate the install of hooker supercomp headers I surrendered. We pulled the motor mounts, transmission support bracket lifted the motor. Tried everthing except taking a torch to the car.  I did not even come close to getting one on.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: So for all of you I have two questions. 1. Are the TTI's really easier to install? 2. Are they as quality as the price would suggest?  I don't mind spending the money if they are nice. Ive read the other posts, just looking for more up to date info. Thanks for the help. :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

No header is easy to install unless you bolt them to the engine & insert the whole engine from below .
The quality is the best , thick flanges that seal , great fit , they even make a different header for low deck B & high deck RB engines to keep them tight to the floor

68blue

Can't speak for how long they last as I haven't had them running very long, but the install was much easier than my last go around years ago.

Budnicks

Yes they TTI's are easier than some & harder than others to install, price is a personal thing they aren't cheap... Heddman makes a longer shorty style/swept back header, painted under $200 or Elite series $350 is a ceramic coated header, that is very easy to install especially on a B-Body platform, they aren't for racing apps. really, only 1-3/4" tubes & 2.5" collectors, great for torque, but are much better flowing than the stock manifolds, even the 68-70 HP iron manifolds, for more performance, but they are extremely easy to install & will work with angle plug heads too, they are way above the starter & torsion bars or floor pan, wont get dinged up, like long tube headers do... Schumacher Creative Services makes some Tri-Y's & B-Body long tube Headers {you can get them, plain a little cheaper, painted, chrome $615 or ceramic coated also}, that fit very well & are extremely easy to install also, good middle of the road performance headers...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

404NOTFOUND

If you want cheap headers that fit, the Hedmans have a great rep as mentioned. The Flowtechs too which is what I run. I had to make one easy dent for the DR side torsion bar. Tons of room for the stock starter. The TTIs are worth it but, only if your budget can justify it.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

bill440rt

I've never had a car with headers before now, I went with TTI's (440, 1-7/8" headers w/3" collectors). Only had to raise the engine up slightly on one side to get them to go in.
A little tricky as the driver's side had to be installed with the mini-starter kinda at the same time.

Otherwise, it was fairly straightforward & I thought they fit very nice. No cursing, screaming, or flying tools. I can think of much worse jobs out there. If I had to do it again I would go with the TTI's again.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Kern Dog

TTIs and Dougs are the best fitting production headers, period.
YES they are expensive. The TTIs do fit well and last a long time. I had Hooker 5903 and 5209 headers in my Charger and HATED dealing with them. Rattles, leaks, poor fit, crappy access to the plugs....fugget about it. TTIs have a feature not found in other brands: The collectors point toward the raised parts in the Torsion bar crossmember, which eliminates 2 bends in the exhaust pipes. Fewer bends means MORE power.

Fred

In my opinion TTI headers are worth every penny. I wouldn't use anything else. They fit perfectly without any hassle.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

528HemiZach

I'M IN AGREEMENT WITH FRED...

I HAVE TWO SETS...THE FIRST, 2" PRIMARIES ON MY 440 THAT I RAN FOR 8 YEARS.  NEVER AN ISSUE, MY FIRST HEADER INSTALL, PERFECT.  THE SECOND SET IS WHAT I HAVE ON MY HEMI...2 1/4" PRIMARIES. 

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL PIECES, PERFECT FIT (IN BOTH OF MY CASES), NEVER A SINGLE PROBLEM.  PRICEY BUT WELL WORTH IT, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.  I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GO WRONG WITH THEM.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
'69 Charger R/T,  528 Hemi,  4-speed,  4.10 Dana

http://www.houstonmopars.org

dstryr

I put 2" Doug's on my 440 and skinned the pass. side up a little getting it in from the bottom.  The driver's side dropped without much more effort than a stock Hi-po exhaust manifold.   I did cuss the passenger side one plenty :brickwall: until I got the front of the car high enough to get the header in, plus had to loosen the motor mounts, lift and roll the engine to the driver's side.  Had some help from my 11yo daughter pushing the motor over, so it is doable. :2thumbs:

Good luck!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

c00nhunterjoe

I have2 inch hooker super comps on the 440 in the belvedere with no install issues and 1 3\4 hedmans on the 383 in the charger with no issues.

BlaineKaiser450

+1 for Heddman, easy install and great fit
1969 Plymouth Satellite - 440 - 727 - 3.73 - 8 3/4 Suregrip

1993 Dodge W350 Dually

1999 F250 7.3

RKCHARGER

Thanks for the info everyone! Called TTI this morning and ordered the 1"7/8 inch into 3 inch collector header and full 3 inch exhaust. I just want quality and everything to fit with no headaches which is why I ordered the exhaust as well. No welding, no bending, just bolt on and go! Thanks again for the input!

pullrock

I am very happy with my TTi's and they went in without modifications but I did run into on problem.  I have to change my "fast-ratio" Pitman Arm which would interfer with the headers.  Put the stock one back on and it worked fine.  Beside for the marks on my headers :icon_smile_angry: I would read the footnotes section of the Installation Instructions.  my  :Twocents:

Eric
68 R/T

myk

That sucks about the fast-ratio pitman arm.  Is it down to a choice between the two parts, or is there another header that would work with the fast-ratio arm?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kern Dog

The directions with my 2" TTI 440 B body headers stated that the fast ratio arms will not fit. That claim was stated TWICE.
They fit fine with the Fast Ratio arms. They fit with 3/4" of room to spare. My car has the engine in the stock location with new mounts. Never been wrecked. The FF stage 3 chuck with Fast Ratio steering arms is a thing of beauty!

nihil

Quote from: RKCHARGER on June 12, 2012, 06:08:49 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! Called TTI this morning and ordered the 1"7/8 inch into 3 inch collector header and full 3 inch exhaust. I just want quality and everything to fit with no headaches which is why I ordered the exhaust as well. No welding, no bending, just bolt on and go! Thanks again for the input!

Please post the results and your impressions of the install. I'm very interested in going this route with mine.

`68 Charger R/T 440-4
`02 A4 1.8TQMS
`82 RHD 300GD Geländewagen

myk

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on June 18, 2012, 12:43:07 PM
The directions with my 2" TTI 440 B body headers stated that the fast ratio arms will not fit. That claim was stated TWICE.
They fit fine with the Fast Ratio arms. They fit with 3/4" of room to spare. My car has the engine in the stock location with new mounts. Never been wrecked. The FF stage 3 chuck with Fast Ratio steering arms is a thing of beauty!

Awesome.  Filing for future reference...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"