News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much power is compression worth?

Started by chargd72, July 02, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT-440

My little 231 V6 feels like a granny car out of boost...not sluggish..just normal...it's very deceiving actually cuz it feels like it has no balls until it starts seeing boost and then it feels like a 18 wheeler slammed into the back of the car. For cruising around town I prefer my 440...for balls out I prefer the turbo'd V6.

I'd build a 10:? 360 and add a 100 shot for racing..best of both worlds...most completly stock motors can handle a 100 shot.  :2thumbs: If u can make 350 hp on the motor then u'd be around 450 hp on the naawwwsss.  :Twocents:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Cooter

FRom what I've felt and seen messin' with other people's Supercharged cars, Whether it's a blown engine @8.5:1 with 18 Lbs of boost, or a 11.0:1 Supercharged engine with 2 Lbs of boost, IMO, they make bout the same power, if they live. The engines however, have to be set up totally different on the tune up.

Only problem with boost is intercooling. One of my local racing buddies has a 331 C.I. Mustang with a supercharger making 1135 HP at the wheels. Now, the outlet temperature of the air under 20 Lbs of boost at the back of the blower is around 475 Degrees. After an air to water intercooler plumbed all through the car to the hatch and back, it goes in the engine at 180 Degrees.

I just never could see the benefit of boost Vs Nitrous...N20 goes in the intake at something like 132 Degrees BELOW ZERO...Talk about an intercooler. Only crutch folks tend to lean on (Including me) is the fact you have to refill bottle.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HPP

I won't disagree that boost can shorten the lifespan of an engine if you aren't dialed in with the tune up. But, I'd also say that moderate boost probably has less of a mortality rate than rpm does. Whether boosted or naturally aspirated, once you start revving to the moon, the potential fo catastrophy goes up expenentially and the cost to avoid such problems goes right along with it.

Build a good solid bottom end, make plans to keep revs under 5000, pump in the boost and you'll make plenty of power and save lots of expense and parts.

c00nhunterjoe

I like watching the cars that run boost and spray......  :popcrn:

mauve66

aw, just go get a pro mod motor, those thing look and sound nasty, then they prove it
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Cooter

Quote from: mauve66 on July 09, 2012, 08:03:38 PM
aw, just go get a pro mod motor, those thing look and sound nasty, then they prove it

For about 30 seconds at a time they do....Make 1500 HP for 15 years without any teardowns and then you got my respect.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"