News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans slipping in drive

Started by Spike, June 11, 2012, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Just installed a Turbo Action 17805 ST converter in my Charger now it slips in drive.
When I had the trans out I pulled the front pump to change the seal, I also replaced the bushing that came with the converter.
One of the rings on the pump housing shaft had the tab broke off so I replaced both rings
I pulled the valve body and checked the front band for wear and replaced the filter. Torqued the band to 72 inch lbs and backed it off 2.5 turns.
Installed the trans and when it shifts into drive its slipping big time. It pulls hard if I shift shift manually from first to second but as soon as I hit Drive the motor revs.
Any suggestions?
Thx

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sounds like one of the eals you might have put in failed?   

Hopfully our resident trans guru John K will chime in!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

Your loosing the ft clutch apply.
if you have a mech oil pressure gauge you could test it see if it's on the hydraulic side( doubt it)

be it seals or otherwise, it sounds like your pulling it back out

Spike

Could it be in the valve body?
I pulled the v/b off and cleaned it before I put the band back in, also installed a new filter(not that the filter would have anything to do with it)
I did not take apart the v/body though.
The thought of pulling the trans again just boils my backside.

gtx6970

doubt it
and unlessl you put a pressure gauge on it anything anyone tells you is guessing

BUT,
if you didn't pull the VB apart my moneys on a torn ,broken or split seal ring on the input shaft or reaction support

John_Kunkel

I agree with Bill, it's more likely that the pump removal/installation caused the problem rather than the VB.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Spike

That's what I was fearing.
Thanks for the advice.
Will pull the trans and post what I find...