News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing?

Started by Troy, June 15, 2012, 10:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Once again, my car is running like doo doo...

The base timing on my 440 was set at 18 degrees. Now it will only run (er, idle) at 45 degrees. Is this approximately what would happen if my timing chain jumped a tooth? I had a backfire at WOT and it hasn't run right since. It will not run at all with the timing set to anything less then 37-38 degrees.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

possible it could have jumped a tooth.  You have metal timing gears or the original nylon teeth?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

firefighter3931

Troy, the outer ring on the harmonic balancer may have slipped. If it has an OEM style balancer have a look at the elastomer ring for signs of cracking. The rubber will vulcanize over time.

One tooth on the timing chain is 14* of cam timing....just for reference.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Troy

Well, the car also seems down on power and seems to run rough. I can putt around town but any spirited driving is out. I also used to have a wider range of movement with the distributor before it would "fall off". Now it's only a few degrees. If only the balancer had slipped I don't think it would have changed anything else (ie I should be able to tune the car with a vacuum gauge without ever looking at the timing mark).

However, I'll try to get a good look at the balance and see what I can see.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.