News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Blower Motor Fan Metal of Plastic

Started by PlainfieldCharger, June 16, 2012, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlainfieldCharger

Hello All,

Picked up a spare heater box for parts...it was better than the one that came with the car :o, it came with a metal blower fan in perfect condition. The one I have is plastic like I see all over the forums. So, I have a choice :scratchchin:, please let me know your thoughts.

bull

Mine came with a metal squirrel cage and I found a new one to replace it. But I think it depends somewhat on if it's an A/C box or not. Anyway, here's the story on that: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,56792.0.html

PlainfieldCharger

I have a plastic and Metal one in great condition. I put each one on the motor to see which one moves more air. I believe the plastic one did. So that is what I am going with. The metal one weighs about twice as much. It must take more energy to turn it, saving the metal one in case the plastic one fails down the road.

mauve66

i would determine based on how much you used the heater

military truck i drove had a motor with a wheel on each side of the motor, after using it so much in the german winters the wheel heated up the plastic and the torqu of the motor spun the center out of the wheel. of cousre this was an over priced government project but you get my drift, here in vegas i would't care, but if it was my daily driver in minnisota.........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

A383Wing

all my Chargers AC or not had metal cages for fans

Bryan

PlainfieldCharger

It will be a sunday driver and show car. Makes sense that if the motor gets hot the shaft could soften the plastic. That metal fan is pretty sweet.....its a keeper.

elacruze

My original '68 A/C fan was plastic (squirrels ate it) and it was troublesome to find a new one. My buddy at the auto parts had one, it was from a '74 Aspen or somesuch. The original wasn't listed in any of the books he had as available, had to visually match it. He knew what the fan he had came out of, though.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.