News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ignition problem

Started by sixty-niner, June 10, 2011, 09:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty-niner

got a problem and I have been through 2 mechanics so far and non has figured this one out.  My 69 charger died the other day and left me stranded in East LA.  a total lack of spark.  so i had it towed to a shop,  they replaced the coil and resister and that didnt do it.  so they replaced the distributer cap, ignition modulator too.  seemed to work and finally got it to start.  however, while coming home every time I got the car past 3000 RPM it just bogged out and would die,  sounds like it had rocks in the mufflers.  so I drove like a granny for the next 70 miles.  I get a nasty back fire and it is like it has a rev limiter on it or something. smokes something fierce too. the strange thing is that it does not do it when it is parked.  I can get it up to 5000-6000 rpm and then it boggs out and looses power but when driving around 3000 and it just looses all power.  I have had 2 mobile mechanics here and neither can figure it out.  It has a 400 in it, with a 4 speed OD.  since it didnt start until we replaced all the ignition stuff I assume it is an ignition problem but not a clue.

anyone have any ideas?

elacruze

I'm just in the middle of sorting out a similar issue, an old friend who worked the Dodge dealership in the '70s said he saw a truckload of ignition modules with failed internal grounds, causing anything from occasional intermittent miss to intermittent hot shutdown to total failure. When cold or when lucky, they run fine and test good. Replace with known good module and test.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

flyinlow

When you say the engine bogs and dies and you mentioned back firing , I think of carburation problems.
Insufficient fuel deliver,  do a test, at least a quart per minute at idle at the carb and clean fuel, no rust.
maybe carb float adjustment.
400 CID. what carb?
You have already swapped out a lot of the ignition problems. Ignition problems typically cause the engine to quit, like being turned off or miss, not bog.
:Twocents:

ugly2u

Quote from: sixty-niner on June 10, 2011, 09:01:33 PM
sounds like it had rocks in the mufflers.
anyone have any ideas?

Anyone? buller? Buller?

I have a similar noise, and similar symptoms. However, mine just turns off like you turned the key.

GreenMachine

Brittle wires on the pick-up maybe  :shruggy:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

rt green

you stated that you replaced some ignition stuff, then the problem started. what ignition stuff did you replace?
third string oil changer

404NOTFOUND

It does sound like a fuel problem to me. Try backing out each mixture screw a full turn. You can always screw them back in if that doesn't work.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Cooter

No discription of what type of ignition is on this thing...Why were you replacing ignition stuff in the first place??

If you have stock Chrysler elctronic, remove all that bullsh*t and get an MSD set up and be done with it.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"