News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Old to New conversion

Started by 71 b-body charger, August 29, 2012, 08:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 b-body charger

Didn't exactly know where to put this thread but here we go. So I have been working on a 72 Charger SE, I got the idea of getting a 5.7 6 Speed manual transmition to put into my car. Well that dream is now here, Its sitting in my garage as we speak. But now i have the problem of trying to figure out what to do, do i want to keep the original rear end suspension and original front end, or do i go with the New suspension, axles, Frame, steering Rack from a 09-12 Challenger like I did with my motor.  :shruggy: Someone please help
1972 Charger SE

HPP

Weeelllll, that depends on your fabricating skills and patience in adapting everything. No one makes a kit to adapt 09-12 Challenger suspension to a vintage mopar. Also, IMO, while advances in engine technology over the last 40 years have been signficant, similar advances in suspension technology have not kept a similar pace on teh overall system. A vehicle's suspension can still only be one of four kinds; coil, leaf, torsion, or air spring. A big part of a modern suspensions capability is due to increases in motion control, IE improved shock absorbers, and substantial increases in alignment settings- such as 7+ degrees of positive caster compared to 1.5 degrees negative.

So, with that said, it is entirely possible to make a vintage suspension perform on par with a new system. It will take a couple grand to do it and it will all bolt in. That does not include new wheels and tires in the price to take advantage of that suspension. By contrast, if you want to have a totally unique arrangement, don't mind the cutting and welding and recutting and rewelding, and know enough about the geometry to re-enigeer the factory stuff, then you will certainly have an attention getting set up by adapting the new Challengers set up.

Ghoste

There is a member here who put a 68 Charger shell over a late model Charger s it can be done.  It's a lot of work but can be done.

Cooter

Last article I read on dumping a new Charger Chassis with a 1968 Body was a Freaking Nightmare due to the fab work involved. Things have to be ALL CUSTOM..The going price for such a car that tends to look "Stupid" IMO, as those no offset wheels look tarded, and it sits too high with the rockers hanging down under the car like 5" or so...Price to "Duplicate" what this company did in the article? Try $125K....

Bullsh*t on that....

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

Buy the appropriate Lakewood bellhousing, cut the appropriate hole in your floor, Fabricate the transmission mount, adjust the driveshaft to the appropriate length, and go drive it.

Ok that's simplistic but it isn't that hard. You may have to cut more of the floor out than you like, you may have to fabricate a shifter handle, etc. But it's done every day.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Darkman

Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

71 b-body charger

Getting the motor and transmition in and things fabricated isnt a problem. I have my uncle who is on this site with a 71 Charger R/T and my step dad to help. Its just the suspension, steering rack, axles, ect. That im worried about having to fabricate things for.
1972 Charger SE

Indygenerallee

I have a 5.7 Hemi and I am using all my 69 suspension I can't bring myself to cut the car up so bad I would not be able to return to stock, TTI conversion headers, motor mounts the only thing that is fabbed is the transmission cross member.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

HPP

Quote from: 71 b-body charger on August 31, 2012, 09:54:22 AM
Its just the suspension, steering rack, axles, ect. That im worried about having to fabricate things for.

If you don't understand the geometric relationships and how they all influence each other and why, then I wouldn't recommend fabricating the suspension systems. Save your self the headache, hassle and expense and get either the XV Level 1 kit or the Hotchkis TVS kit. Bolt in set ups that will pull 1 G with the right rubber. XV is $2250 and Hotchkis TVS is around $2500. You could also have Firm Feel spec out a set up of similar capability from their catalog for about $1500.

STIG

Thought you guys might be interested in seeing this 69' Charger here in New Zealand that's had a 'NEW Charger's' 6.1L Hemi installed along with a whole bunch of other modernized components throughout - I believe it's still the only one in the world? *I don't know why the photos are upside down  :-\*

1969 Dodge Charger 'General Lee', 440 Six-Pack, Genuine Big Block, R/T SE

From way down South in the land of Kiwis.

Fred

Quote from: STIG on September 01, 2012, 01:53:04 AM
*I don't know why the photos are upside down  :-\*

I do but I'm not telling!  :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Mike DC

:Twocents:

If you don't need the floor & subframes of a vintage Charger, then you don't need to hack up a solid vintage Charger shell for this project.

Cooter

Feb. 2012 Mopar Action Mag.

My bad, it was a $200K conversion....

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Tilar

Quote from: Fred on September 01, 2012, 02:46:05 AM
Quote from: STIG on September 01, 2012, 01:53:04 AM
*I don't know why the photos are upside down  :-\*

I do but I'm not telling!  :icon_smile_big:

:lol:  Must be one of those Aussie pics.  :yesnod:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

The guy that did that car Cooter posted up is local to me and was a memeber here at one time.  I haven't seen the car in a while but I believe they still have it.  They were going to try and do those conversions as a side business but I don't know if that ever took off.

Rolling_Thunder

SRT68 did the same - I helped him a bit with it. He did the whole conversion in his driveway - so it doesn't take as much money as you think - but takes a LOT of time...   I believe he had something like 2700 hours into fabrication
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip