News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing driver's side head and ran into issue

Started by napalm_217, May 30, 2012, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

napalm_217

I am trying to pull the head of the driver's side of my 440 and I can't get to all the bolts because of the exhaust manifold. I have tried to move it around as much as I could to get to get to the lower set of 8 bolts but no luck. I then tried to disconnect the manifold from the system via the two bolts at the flange but those will not budge one bit. Any suggestions?

ACUDANUT

Just go ahead and put a air sockets on those exhaust bolts. If they break, no a big deal. Just get another pair.

404NOTFOUND

Loosen all possible exhaust manifold bolts.
Insert large chisel between manifold and head.
Pound chisel with big hammer until bolts break.
Unbolt heads.
Sell manifolds and heads.
Buy nice aluminum heads and headers.
Enjoy the horsepower and never look back.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

XH29N0G

I don't know if I understand the situation, but if it is a similar problem to what I ran into recently, I had to remove one of the engine mount bolts and lift the engine up to get enough space to work.  Do you think this is an option for solving your problem.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

napalm_217

I guess I should of explained it a little better. I have taken all the bolts out of the exhaust manifold so it can be moved on and off the head. The problem I have is that with the manifold still in the engine compartment I can not get to all 8 of the lower bolts on the head. I would like to not destroy anything on the car while trying to get this off. I tried to use and air wrench and that did not have enough torque to even move the thing. What I'm thinking now is that I need to just soak those two bolts on the flange in PB Blaster for a day or so and try again with an impact gun, if that doesn't work then I can take a saw and just cut the bolts off. I am open to any other ideas.

justcruisin

Heat the nuts until they glow red, cool them with water and then try. If they are to far gone just blow them off with a gas torch.

Rolling_Thunder

You'll have to disconnect the manifold from the head pipe and remove the entire manifold from the engine bay - that should allow you access to the lower 8 bolts on the head.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

FLG

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 31, 2012, 12:40:30 AM
You'll have to disconnect the manifold from the head pipe and remove the entire manifold from the engine bay - that should allow you access to the lower 8 bolts on the head.   :2thumbs:

:yesnod:

justcruisin

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 31, 2012, 12:40:30 AM
You'll have to disconnect the manifold from the head pipe and remove the entire manifold from the engine bay - that should allow you access to the lower 8 bolts on the head.   :2thumbs:

I think the problem is he can't get the manifold off to access the lower head bolts. Soaking the bolts is worth a try but I have found gas is the quickest way.

napalm_217

I will give the gas  method a go and see how that goes. Thanks for the help everyone.

BSB67

Put the manifold back on the head with two nuts securing it in place.  A wrench on the top side wedged against something, and a long extension and 1/2 breaker bar from the bottom will get it off.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

napalm_217

Well I tried the gas method but it didn't work very well. I have now stripped one of the nuts so I am pretty much left with cutting it off, these things don't want to come off.

justcruisin

Cutting them off is a bit of an effort, it's not normally a problem, with a gas torch you would have them off in 5 min. You need to use oxy/acetylene with a cutting tip not propane. But if thats not a go just get in there with a grinder.

napalm_217

All I have access to is propane so I will have to take the slow path and get to it with a grinder. Thanks for the input everyone.

ugly2u

I had a similar problem, and cut the down pipe, after the manifold flange. Later, I fixed the cut pipe with a sleeve. Worked well, but a major pain in the azz. I spent many hours cussing and trying everything before I did this, and it was simple.