News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which direction to spin the brake adjustment wheel?

Started by billschroeder5842, May 27, 2012, 07:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

My '69 started pulling to the left and I noticed and occasional "squeal" coming from the passenger front.

I took the front right apart and noticed that the adjustment cable had become detached from the adjustment lever. I put it back together and spun the "star wheel" adjuster to take out some play. Everthing seems to be in order.

I took the car out and did several "reverse" stops, hoping that the rest of the play would be "adjusted out." Does not seems to be helping much.

I'm going to manually help the situation by adjusting the star wheel....

So...which way to I spin the "star wheel" to remove the slack; top to bottom or bottom to top? Is it the same for both sides or because the brakes "face" differently, the wheel spins different?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

Plumcrazy

To adjust the brakes shoes out turn the star wheel from top to bottom.  It's the same for a four wheels.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

billschroeder5842

Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

So I jacked up the front end, spun the wheel and adjusted the star wheel until I has a slight drag on the wheel. I took it for a ride and I still have a pull to the left....not as pronounced but still a slight pulling, but better.

Is this something that will balance out after a while so do I still need to adjust? I'm concerned about tighten too much and locking up the wheel or something.
Texas Proud!