News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to get #1 at TDC now that everything is installed?

Started by WH23G3G, May 21, 2012, 10:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Ok before I install this reman carb on my 73's 400 I got from Summit, I want to make sure the timing is correct. I don't it to flame up like it did after the carb guy rebuilt it. I suspect that it is off or that the carb I have on there is no good at all. It just cranks and cranks till the battery wears down. It shoots gas like it should. It started like it should before the "carb expert" rebuilt it. Now it's been down for 4-5 months in the garage, so depressing. I haven't even wanted to touch the car since it's happened. It's pretty much impossible to get the #1 at TDC using a socket now that the radiator, fan, and shroud are on. The big crank pulley is so deep it's impossible to turn it by hand anymore. I heard you can bump the starter over to get it at #1. But will I be able to get it right at TDC by bumping it over with the starter?     

jlatessa

Take the plugs out, with no compression you should be able to sneak up on TDC pretty close.

Joe

justcruisin

Pretty hard to get it to stop right where you want it on the starter, if you can't get on the crank pulley nut, creep up to the mark by flicking the starter and when you are almost there pull the cover from the bottom of the trans to expose the ring gear, put a  flat blade screw driver on the teeth and inch it round by levering off the bottom of the block.

WH23G3G

My other option is to have someone turn the distributor while I turn the key. But should I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise? Right now it just cranks and cranks normal speed. Meaning I know some mechanics have told me if the timing is too retarded it will crank real slow like the battery is dead. So I'm not to that point. I know if you retard it too much to it might flame up again, which I don't want to happen ever again. The actual specs are 7.5 degrees. I was wondering if the timing isn't off much from 7.5 degrees could it still cause this problem where it will be hard to crank at all?

justcruisin

If you turn the distributor clockwise it advances the spark. The engine will only slow down when cranking if the spark is advanced too much. Best bet is to turn the engine  to TDC on number 1 firing as you planed, then adjust your distributor to fire at 10 degrees BTDC static, you wont have any timing issues at that setting and you can adjust from there once you are up and running. Rotate the engine clockwise as it normally runs as there can be 5-6 degrees slack in the chain, check with a timing light once shes running.