News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

572 question for firefighter Ron!

Started by Hudson Hornet !, June 06, 2012, 09:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

I am considering building a 572 out of a world block for my 68 charger.  Could you give me some real world advice on what the car is like to live with on the street?  Have you broken anything?  Is it too much power?  Etc.

Also, I looked but could not locate your build thread of the 572.  Is there any documentation posted here about it?

Thank you in advance,

Darrin Burt
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

firefighter3931

Hi Darrin  :wave:

The 572 is easy to drive....nicer than the old 446 because it idles better and has very good street manners. The 446 was overcammed for what would be considered manageable but it did drive OK....just not as nice as this one.   

Relatively speaking ; this engine is pretty mild as far as big cube strokers go....pump gas, low redline and excellent throttle response. With heavy cars you need to build lots of torque to get the weight moving so the extra cubes really help.  :yesnod:

Brian (OldSchool) has a similar build in his 70 Charger and his is a 4spd. He really likes it and it has been reliable from a durability standpoint so far but he uses street tires so it never dead hooks. That is the key to keeping the trans/driveshaft/rear end together. Once it hooks....new ballgame.  ;)

With mine the trans, driveshaft, rear end & suspension were all upgraded to handle the extra power.  :2thumbs:

Here's a link to the build thread in the proven combo's section : http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,64059.0.html

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks for the advice and the link.  If I do this, I will also be buying a Dana 60 and a 18 spline 4 speed.
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Cooter

A Word of caution here. just be aware that driving a 4 gear with street tires is one thing, until you've driven one on tire (Slicks), you most likely haven't experienced too many missed shifts in third. I learned the hard way. Shifting a 4-speed on tire is ALOT harder than on street tires so get ready..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

Guys what does dead hook mean? Is it when non street tires lock onto the road with no slip?  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Budnicks

Quote from: twodko on June 07, 2012, 02:03:32 PM
Guys what does dead hook mean? Is it when non street tires lock onto the road with no slip?  :shruggy:
Yes
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

c00nhunterjoe

5,000 rpm and side step the clutch and the tires don't spin= dead hook.