News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lizard skin

Started by billfury, April 29, 2012, 06:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billfury

Hey guys. Let me start off with my car. It's a 1972 charger se that I have been restoring for...... going on 100 years now. Well it seems that long. This was supposed to be a paint and go. That was 5 years ago. Now 90% of my chrome trim is NOS (do you know how much chrome is on a SE)? The stock 440 is now a 512 stroker.  I figured if I'm going to keep this car, I wanted the best of everything. So I was looking at dynamat and was going to get it. But then I see this Lizard skin and was impressed. I started to do some research (That's just a nice way to say I couldn't afford it yet). So after a full research (I saved up money) I found custard hot rods in Ohio. The guys name is Jeff and he is great and answered any dumb question I had. I know they all do that because they want your business, but this guy will make you feel like you knew him for ever. I received the lizard skin a couple days later and that weekend I was spraying. Now I'm not a painter at all, but I was able to spray it and it came out good. It comes in a 2 gal buckets, a gun, mixer and a free hat. First I sprayed the sound control. The first shot was terrible but I adjusted the gun and went to town. You let it sit for a ½ hour between coats. For the ceramic temp stuff I waited 24 hours before I sprayed the first coat. This stuff was a lot thicker. It was like mixing a bucket of tar. I must have mixed this stuff for 20 min. You will start to hear your rpm's rise on your drill when the mix is good. When I was done, I removed all the masking tape, and a piece with the lizard skin on it. I took it and bent the hell out of it and it did not brak. This stuff is very flexible. As far as working with this stuff it was very easy. The clean up was a 5 gal bucket of water. I will try to post pictures

DC_1

I remember another member, Shakey, did a pretty good write up some years back when he used this stuff.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26217.0.html

billfury

more

Troy

I plan to use that stuff on my car as well. Thanks for the write-up!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

DC_1

billfury

Yea I read that article. I figured that I do it right the first time and not having to worry about the mixture good or not. To me piece of mind was worth it. All I had to do was opened a bucket up and pour it into a gun. I was reading so many different articles that I just confused myself even more. I'm confused enough without the help of others :hah:. So this was good for me who doesn't know anything about spraying or mixing ratios. All I can say is that it is expensive :Twocents:, but if you save a little here & there it won't hurt you so much.

billfury

If you do use the lizard skin, make sure you cover all the threaded holes like the seat belt and column I just used old bolts I had laying around. This stuff is easy to clean up but once it dries its rock solid.

This is a close up when it dries.