News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Vapor Separator - Bargin

Started by Jesco, August 28, 2008, 06:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesco

1964 Dodge 330 Super Stock Clon
1969 Dodge Charger R/T

gtx6970

buyer beware , there are 2 companies making them. 1st one is good and 2nd is junk

ps- thats below cost on the good one, so my gutt tells me its the trashcan version

I thought I might add to this.
Both will work fine on a street car, The problem with the one I call the trashcan version is the return tube has to large of an orfice in it. Causing WAY to much fuel to return back to the tank. Not a problem, until the driver smashes his foot into it and holds it there. Such as when racing it, at about 1/2 track it will strart starving it for gas and either fall on it's face or starting surging. . I found it out the hard way with my old GTX hardtop. We chased it for days, thinking it was a bad pump or clogged line.

After changing pumps about 3 times and cleaning out fuel lines and sending unit filters. I never figured it was the seperator ( after all it was NEW ) finally changed the seperator with a 3 nippled fuel filter from Napa,,,,,, Problem solved. The correct seperators came out a few laters later after the car had already been replaced with a GTX conv.

If someone wants a comparison shot of the 2 let me know. I still have this trashcan version around here somewhere, maybe  in my 'lesson learned ' box

Just 6T9 CHGR

Year One not selling quality stuff?   nah cant be :rotz:

Thanks for the heads up Bill :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

66FBCharger

Quote from: gtx6970 on August 29, 2008, 01:08:34 PM
buyer beware , there are 2 companies making them. 1st one is good and 2nd is junk

ps- thats below cost on the good one, so my gutt tells me its the trashcan version

I thought I might add to this.
Both will work fine on a street car, The problem with the one I call the trashcan version is the return tube has to large of an orfice in it. Causing WAY to much fuel to return back to the tank. Not a problem, until the driver smashes his foot into it and holds it there. Such as when racing it, at about 1/2 track it will strart starving it for gas and either fall on it's face or starting surging. . I found it out the hard way with my old GTX hardtop. We chased it for days, thinking it was a bad pump or clogged line.

After changing pumps about 3 times and cleaning out fuel lines and sending unit filters. I never figured it was the seperator ( after all it was NEW ) finally changed the seperator with a 3 nippled fuel filter from Napa,,,,,, Problem solved. The correct seperators came out a few laters later after the car had already been replaced with a GTX conv.

If someone wants a comparison shot of the 2 let me know. I still have this trashcan version around here somewhere, maybe  in my 'lesson learned ' box

i know this is an old thread. I have been reading up on vapor separators.
Bill, if you still have the right separator and the trashcan separator, I would like to see a comparision shot.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

gtx6970

http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1324606912/40#40

I had comparison pictures but not on this PC, so I will have to ck the home one and see if I still  have them.

I sold the trashcan version a couple months ago to someone who was going to gut it and modify it

66FBCharger

Bill,
Thanks for the links on the subject. I checked my unmarked separator and it has the correct length tubes internally. I don't remember where I bought it from, but I think it was probably 15-20 years ago. I am going to use the separator but I am going to close up the orefice size in the separator and redrill it or make an orefice (for now, and install it in the return hose). I may try different sizes (in the return hose) and see what size works best.
Thanks again for all the help!
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 29, 2008, 06:12:53 PM
Year One not selling quality stuff?   nah cant be :rotz:

Thanks for the heads up Bill :cheers:

x2
Yeah Bill, if you got pics post up.  :yesnod:
I had no idea there would be two different companies making a part such as this. I'd like to see a comparo.
:popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce