News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb. spacers

Started by TruckDriver, January 27, 2006, 11:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

How much more horse power do they really make? And what makes it work? Is thicker better?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Duey

I thought spaces were more for improving the response of your carb, by giving a bit more plenum and thus signal to the venturis?

Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Runner

it really depends on alot of things, engine size, intake, carb, cam.    and sence every combo is different there is only one way to find out.

im trying a wilson manifolds tapered spacer(starts out as a 4 hole and blends into an open spacer) on my roadrunner.

there are alot of good reads on the net about spacers. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

TruckDriver

Well, I got a 400, buying a edlebrock 750 carb to go with the edle proformer 383 intake and stock cam for now. 
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Silver R/T

basically gives more velocity. General rule is to run open spacer on double plane intake and run 4 hole spacer on open/single plane intakes
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TruckDriver

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 27, 2006, 09:50:03 PM
basically gives more velocity. General rule is to run open spacer on double plane intake and run 4 hole spacer on open/single plane intakes

Ok doctor, please explain that in English so I understand it better :P
PETE

Runner

honestly, with the parts your using, if your never going to take it to the track i doubt you will notice a differance.

different spacers do different things.  if you stick a open spacer on a intake i doubt it will increase velocity (air speed).   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on January 28, 2006, 12:34:55 AM
honestly, with the parts your using, if your never going to take it to the track i doubt you will notice a differance.

different spacers do different things.  if you stick a open spacer on a intake i doubt it will increase velocity (air speed).   

:iagree: Open spacers reduce airspeed and increase plenum volume. This type of tuning is combination specific. For example : if you found the engine was running out of steam at 4500 rpm you could extend the powerband by using an open spacer. The 4 hole spacer does the opposite and brings increased signal to the carb's booster....increasing throttle response while limiting upper end power somewhat.

As Mike suggested, you won't notice a significant improvement either way on a stock engine.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Headrope

:iagree: The engines were originally designed to do rather well on the street. Don't waste your money buying, and trying several different spacers out there unless you're going to the track.
I did. The only results I noticed were that the skin on the top of my knuckles started to crack from all the gas I spilled on them while removing the carb to swap in/out the spacers.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

deathcharger71

i have a 2'' open and a 2'' 4 hole spacer, im gonna run both and see how it works out. they work really well at lifting your carb high enough to run a scoop....for those of us who didnt check before slamming the hood on the carb screw and nearly put a hole through the hood. scoop is a fun way to fix that though  :icon_smile_big:

chargermick

I was going to buy a spacer to reduce the heat that is getting to my carb. Kind of like an isolator between the carb and the hot manifold. Is there any value in this, or do I have my head up my butt-again?

Big Sugar

Hey Mike :
   My Six pak is presently being worked over at Promax , Ben and I discussed carb spacers and he happens to be working on a new set of Spacers "for the six pak setup anyway" We did disscus using the spacers as a thermal break but said with my set up I shouldn't reallty have a problem.
  I've got room for a 1/2"to 3/4" spacer when my carbs are done he's gonna set them up on the Dyno and see what kind of Gains there will be.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b