News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

160 MPH Warning

Started by 68X426, April 07, 2012, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

This was talked about in a past thread but I can't find it. I just acquired the legendary warning decal "160MPH", an original one from 1970. Period correct! The glue was dried up of course, so I mounted it on magnetic paper and onto the door it went. Now my passengers can't sue me if they open the window.  :smilielol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Indygenerallee

What was this on? A Superbird?
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

They were an aftermarket sticker you could get way back when.

Indygenerallee

:lol: I was like wtf really? I had never seen one before! That's why!!  :lol:

Slowpoke

I have one of those, got it in the gift bag from the 1981 Car Craft street machine Nationals I entered my R/T in.
Man now I feel old.  :'(
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

adauto

I remember those..... now I'm depressed....
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

myk

Year One used to sell 'em too.  I figured I would buy one when my Daytona-clona  was done.  So much for that idea....

Fred

Quote from: Ghoste on April 07, 2012, 09:56:23 PM
They were an aftermarket sticker you could get way back when.

What for?  :scratchchin:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ghoste

Just for laughs.  Rocket made aftermarket wheels.

djcarguy

heard storys bout early mustangs and other fastback cars losing the rear windows if ya rolled down side windows over 100-120 mph ,,,,really fast?????    rumor or truth???? anyone hear bout this???

or was it just a way to scare young drivers and passengers,may get sucked out over 150mph,haha.

Ghoste

I think that one may fall into the urban myth category.

Dino

I'm not sure if you had this version in the US but a coworker used to have the 1st model German VW Golf GTI and he lost his rear window several times because of the amount of noise coming out his rear deck speakers.  I don't think they were glued in though, I believe they were held in by the window rubber fitting over the metal lip as so many old cars were.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Drache

MY poor dart can't even reach 160mph... 110mph is the limit  :rotz:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Fred

Quote from: djcarguy on April 08, 2012, 09:11:31 AM
heard storys bout early mustangs and other fastback cars losing the rear windows if ya rolled down side windows over 100-120 mph ,,,,really fast?????    rumor or truth???? anyone hear bout this???

This could be true......................and that's why they made convertibles!!  :D  :nana:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Budnicks

heard storys bout early mustangs and other fastback cars losing the rear windows if ya rolled down side windows over 100-120 mph ,,,,really fast?????    rumor or truth???? anyone hear bout this???

or was it just a way to scare young drivers and passengers,may get sucked out over 150mph,haha.
Never heard of that, but, I did have a V-8 Vega in the late 70's that when you launched hard the passenger side window in the rear would pop out & break all over the street  :brickwall:, I replaced them a couple of times,   :hah: then I finally put frame connectors & a cage in solved the issues  :slap:... Very cool old sticker Dan
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Indygenerallee

Kind of interesting I wonder if the back glass would have a chance of popping out at that speed if you had all the windows down and vent windows fully open???

Ghoste

Still in there in the back of my 67.  Mind you I haven't done extended driving at 100 mph but it has definitely seen a few blasts at that rate with the windows down.  Until this thread I have never heard of this.  I still think its bs until someone comes forward with proof.

Cooter

Quote from: Budnicks on April 08, 2012, 08:57:36 PM
heard storys bout early mustangs and other fastback cars losing the rear windows if ya rolled down side windows over 100-120 mph ,,,,really fast?????    rumor or truth???? anyone hear bout this???

Never heard of that, but, I did have a V-8 Vega in the late 70's that when you launched hard the passenger side window in the rear would pop out & break all over the street  :brickwall:, I replaced them a couple of times,   :hah: then I finally put frame connectors & a cage in solved the issues  :slap:... Very cool old sticker Dan

We got a 1991 Mustang LX that use to leave the pass. side quarter glass all over the track every time we launched it too. Too funny!

Yeah, I'll file this decal next to my "Get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on", and the ever popular "Ass,grass,or cash, nobody rides for free".. decals..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chatt69chgr

When I was in college in the mid sixties there was a building next to the EE building (don't recall the name) which was the Engineering Mechanics building.  There was a little parking lot next to it for the professors and parked in that lot every day was a Mercedes 300 SL gullwing.  It was red.  And there was a sticker which I assume to be an original Mercedes sticker that said "Do not open windows (or maybe said windscreens) in excess of 160 MPH".  I recall that very well.  So maybe this is the origin of the sticker and it was co-opted by others for their own reasons.  There were not very many cars that would go that fast in 1965 that you would see being driven on the street.

Ghoste

I doubt that many if any street driven 300sl's were capable of 160mph speeds.  I'm not even sure the competition versions were hitting those numbers were they?

Indygenerallee

Does anyone know if the Charger stock cars used the stock rear glass or lexan??? I always thought it was entirely possible for the rear glass to come out at speeds around 200 mph, I thought thats why the stock cars ran the two bars over the back glass to keep it captured to the car. I have seen several videos of windshields at cruising speed on a slow motion camera and it looks like a wave I would think that "wave" could loosen the butyl tape and "pop" the glass out? I will say I am sure if it were to happen it would have when these cars were just a couple of years old because that butyl tape gets hard as a brick over the years. I don't know never seen it hapen but I have learned "never say never"!!!  :lol:

Ghoste

I believe the bars were mandated to retain the glass in the event of collision.  I think also that until the wing cars came along, by which time the safety retainers were mandated, they were allowed to run with side glass rolled up if they chose to do so.