News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 70 Charger Seat foam - bull

Started by Daytona Guy, December 13, 2012, 01:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

I hope this does not get redirected, but I have tride to find 70 charger seat foam and everyone is trying to pass off the 70 roadrunner foam as 70 charger and it is different. Actually the closest foam I have seen is the top faom of a 70 dart - but the bottom is wrong. The sides go up evenly all the way to the top like a tube - on the dart - but the 70 roadrunner foam angles in or has a bump on the may to the top and that is not right. I can't beleive they do not make 70 charger foam that looks like the same foam that I have on my 70 seats. Year one and legendary tride to tell me the 70 raodrunner is the same too. Bull! This just tickes me off. Had to vent:)

Dane

JB400

Feel free to vent, but I think this would have been better in the Interior section ;)

Daytona Guy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 13, 2012, 01:42:31 AM
Feel free to vent, but I think this would have been better in the Interior section ;)

Maybe, but I don't think so. This info should be out there -

Here the  top pic is the 70 dart - this has the backs that look right... but not the bottoms. The pic below the 70 dart is Year One's pic for the 70 charger foam - Not even close. Morons!

70 Charger - bull

JB400

Have you upholestered a Charger seat with Dart foam to see how the finished product looks?  Either way, I see the difference in them that you talked about.  It does seem that the Dart foams can be trimmed to fit the contour of the Charger foam.  I really wouldn't know without seeing them in person.

Daytona Guy

You have to add foam to the head rest part any way (upper and lower) that sticks out. I always have my guy add foam all over because I like the seat firm :)
I ordered the 70 Dart - the foam does not look as nice as Year One's or Clasics, but like I said, I have my guy add foam anyway. I will keep people posted on how my guy likes this - 70 Dart foam - The total cost + shipping was 217.00 The Clasic and Year One's total cost + shipping was 310.00 ish. 

Dane

bull

Daytona Guy

Quote from: bull on December 13, 2012, 01:25:43 PM
What does PG Classic/BE&A carry?

Same thing, they pass off the other b- body foam for a charger. So no one actually makes a true 70 chargers bucket seat foam. Wonderful !

Dane

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Daytona Guy on December 13, 2012, 02:29:10 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 13, 2012, 01:42:31 AM

Maybe, but I don't think so. This info should be out there -

Here the  top pic is the 70 dart - this has the backs that look right... but not the bottoms. The pic below the 70 dart is Year One's pic for the 70 charger foam - Not even close. Morons!

70 Charger - bull

Here is a pic of my 70 charger seat - this is not what any manufacture is making. I see the 70 Dart seat to be the closest one to go with - I have seen seats done with the wrong one the manufactures are trying to pass off as a 70 charger, and I wondered why the seat did not look right - the shape down the sides are just wrong.

tsmithae

What I have found that most are doing right now is passing off 70 Plymouth foam as the closest fit for a '70 Charger.  They do admit that it "requires modifications."  I am currently reupholstering my seats with Legendary's foams and covers and will be doing a detailed write-up on it shortly.  Briefly, you need to cut out the top of the seat back to allow for the already padded seat cover. Also, for the seat bottom, you need to measure 16" from the back of the foam and cut a slit across 2/3 of the foam to create a channel for one of the rods that help form the seat.

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Daytona Guy

Quote from: tsmithae on December 16, 2012, 12:51:22 AM
What I have found that most are doing right now is passing off 70 Plymouth foam as the closest fit for a '70 Charger.  They do admit that it "requires modifications."  I am currently reupholstering my seats with Legendary's foams and covers and will be doing a detailed write-up on it shortly.  Briefly, you need to cut out the top of the seat back to allow for the already padded seat cover. Also, for the seat bottom, you need to measure 16" from the back of the foam and cut a slit across 2/3 of the foam to create a channel for one of the rods that help form the seat.

You will have to do more than that. The sides of the 70 road - are mis-contoured - and have a bump in them. The 70 dart backs are almost exact - without the bump and are evenly contoured all the way up. Look at the pics above.

472 R/T SE

You know we love you long time if it's posted back home first.   

I stopped by the thread cause I couldn't figure out why Curtis bought a 70 Charger seat.

Ghoste

Haha, I had wondered why he needed 70 Charger seat foam too. :lol:

b5blue

So my estimate of 2,000.00 and 100 hrs of work to completely strip, sandblast, repair, replace all components and reupholster was low..... :scratchchin:     

Wicked72

try classicindustries.com ill be getting the seat foam for the 72 there might have it for yours
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

tsmithae

Quote from: Daytona Guy on December 16, 2012, 01:37:31 AM
What I have found that most are doing right now is passing off 70 Plymouth foam as the closest fit for a '70 Charger.  They do admit that it "requires modifications."  I am currently reupholstering my seats with Legendary's foams and covers and will be doing a detailed write-up on it shortly.  Briefly, you need to cut out the top of the seat back to allow for the already padded seat cover. Also, for the seat bottom, you need to measure 16" from the back of the foam and cut a slit across 2/3 of the foam to create a channel for one of the rods that help form the seat.

You will have to do more than that. The sides of the 70 road - are mis-contoured - and have a bump in them. The 70 dart backs are almost exact - without the bump and are evenly contoured all the way up. Look at the pics above.

:yesnod:

He is definitely correct and it is mentioned in my thread.

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 16, 2012, 07:21:14 AM

You know we love you long time if it's posted back home first.  

Don't worry, everyone will be having to pay us a visit at the '70 registry to see the thread!  :nana:

See said thread here:
http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=1920.0

And, as always, '70's rule!  :icon_smile_big:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

71green go

I was also told by PG classics that the 70 foam and the 71 Foam are the same....As they do not sell 71 foam....
well I ordered it and it is not correct.......the center of the foam was solid and would not allow you to mount the center of the seat upholstry through and tie to back of seat frame
so I mounted my lengendary covers and it just doesnt look right...........but its the closest I could get

Ghoste

Daytona Guy

This came today - confirmed, the 70 Dart seat foam is the closest seat foam I could find.

Dane

Homerr

Just out of curiosity - can a decent upholstery shop build seat foams instead of using aftermarket?  Is it just a cost issue/starting point sort of thing?

Dino

Quote from: Homerr on January 04, 2013, 11:22:25 AM
Just out of curiosity - can a decent upholstery shop build seat foams instead of using aftermarket?  Is it just a cost issue/starting point sort of thing?

Yes, an uphostery shop can scratch build the seat foam.  I found someone recently who can take the original seat foam from a 69 and beef it up to create lumbar and side bolster support while keeping it looking stock.  Heck if you're fairly handy, buy yourself several different density foam pieces and try it out yourself!  All you need is some contact cement.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

The70RT

Quote from: Daytona Guy on January 01, 2013, 03:35:47 AM
This came today - confirmed, the 70 Dart seat foam is the closest seat foam I could find.

Dane

Good to know, are going to have to still add more foam? The top looks thinner, i hope they have the real deal when i get to that stage.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us