News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

starting issues

Started by lukedukem, March 14, 2012, 03:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

i searched for this topic but didn't find the answers i am looking for.... let me start with a little back story... my 69 has 
•a big block 383 bored 10 over,
•an Edelbrock carb and intake,
•roller rockers,
•wedge port heads,
•Keith black racing pistons,
•comp cam,
•jacobs box,
•Hooker super comp headers,
•aluminum radiator, and a
•holley electrical fuel pump
i didn't do the rebiuld and the engine has about 3500 miles on it since.... the car was sitting and only got driven once a month if that... so my issue is that at first it was easy to start but when i stopped i had to floor it and then it acted like it wanted to die,and there was smoke, but it would still get up and go.... i thought that maybe i was getting fuel to hot?? but i went out this morning and now i have to floor it just to get it to start, and it smells... like its the carb not tuned right, but again i can mash it and it moves... i'm not a carb tuner so i am lost... not sure if anyone has any idea why this is happening...
thanks
luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

John_Kunkel

Sounds like it's flooding. Next time you try to start it, crank for a few seconds then shut the key off and remove the air cleaner. Look down both throttle bores for fuel dripping from the boosters; if there is, the fuel level is too high either from faulty needle valves or too much fuel pressure.

Also, be sure the choke isn't set too tight and that it pulls open a little when the engine starts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

John correct me if wrong but this sounds as his idle circuit is off and he may be adjusted into his secondary's to make up the difference. It would be good to know if the heat passage is blocked off and is the fuel pump regulated @ 6-8lbs also.  :scratchchin:

lukedukem

thanks to both... i'll try it tomorrow... i'm working tonight, but i'll let you know
luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC