News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

chrome polish

Started by FJ5WING, February 29, 2012, 10:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

what are you guys using for polishing chrome? Im trying to clean up my original 70 ralley center caps. They look good with zero pitting but wanted to know what to use to get the tiny strip of chrome around the rim to sparkle.

TIA guys!!!!!!
wingless now, but still around.

73rallye440magnum

WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

bill440rt

Chrome is actually a fairly delicate surface, and scratches easily. Once scratched, it is often impossible to remove. I usually apply an abrasive-free wax only, typically to bumpers.

If it's dirty and you have to resort to polish, try using one that has a chemical cleaning agent in it rather than an abrasive that can scratch.

I use Griot's Garage Chrome Polish on valve covers & other trim, but I don't see it available on their website anymore. You could try this product instead:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/metal+polish%2C+2.5+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

Or, you could contact them & see if their Chrome Polish is still available. It is very mild & cleans well.
I wouldn't use any steel wool on show chrome (daily driver's OK), but that's just me.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

73rallye440magnum

I've always had excellent results with 0000 steel wool on chrome.

I understand it can make some a little uneasy though.

We use English Custom Polishes at work... they are great. Spendy, though.

Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish is an exceptional all around polish- apply with Viva paper towels or a microfiber.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Ghoste

I've used autosol for a long time but lately have been thinking about trying something different myself.

moparfan53

I used Autosol and Mothers for quite a few years but switched to "Purple Metal Polish" about 5 years ago. I like it best.  :Twocents:

http://www.californiacustom.com/purple_metal_polish.html

Musicman

Yes, Purple is another good one, I have used it.

doctor4766

Quote from: Ghoste on February 29, 2012, 12:13:12 PM
I've used autosol for a long time but lately have been thinking about trying something different myself.

Autosol for me too.
AND.... just in case y'all didn't know it, Autosol is one of the only things that will take those stubborn water or rust marks off your car windows.
Suprises me that even Autosol doesn't advertise that on their product, but no shit, go give it a try on your less than perfect glass and tell me I'm wrong.
Don't use a synthetic cloth though, use a good cotton rag.
The amount of elbow grease required is directly related to how long those stains have been on your glass.

Gotta love a '69

1BAD68

I haven't found anything that works better than this stuff...

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Calif240

2nd for Flitz... best stuff I've found.
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

montana bird

I use the fine still wool only if it is rusted bad. But the secret I have heard from the motorcycle crowd, that has always worked for me is Dawn dish soap and water. Put water on chrome and squirt a big glob of soap on the steel wool. Scrub and wash up with clean water. I do not push hard on the steel wool the soap just makes a good lube and glides smoothly. Then give it a coat of polish to protect. If you have rims, or bumpers that should be re chromed this makes a hell of a difference.