News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Backwards traction bars

Started by Ghoste, June 27, 2012, 01:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I read something about Bill Golden having a backwards running traction device on his 330 Max Wedge car.  As I understand it ran from the axle housing or springs to somewhere near the rear spring eye.  Apparently it was outlawed by the NHRA.  How would this have worked and why would they outlaw itÉ

Lunger

found this so far

During November of 1962, I built a set of traction bars out of 2"X3" rectangular tubing that ran from plates I made to replace the normal shock mounts. They ran back to the frame rail just before the bumper. At first I had 3 bolts through the shock mount brackets. It caused the car to porpoise, so we took out 2 of them to let it pivot. Worked great. At Buckingham drag strip in Ft. Myers, Fl, you could launch the car at 6000 rpm on the concrete and expect the clutch to slip because the hook was so good. My 63 Dodge was equiped with the T-85 three speed tranny. Later that year, oh the hindsight, Traction Master came out with the Traction Monster that was a copy of my design but made of a 1" tubing instead of my clunky rectangular tubing. Wish I had copyrighted it. I was sponsored at this time by Biscayne Dodge in North Miami Beach who was a factory owned dealership, or dealer enterprise. It was because they were only interested in developing the South Florida market that prevented me from racing at places other than Valkaria, where I met "the Ramchargers", Masters Field in Miami, and Gainesville where Ronnie Sox drilled me in my 68 Hemi-Dart at the Gators in 69. I belonged to the Cabriolets Road Club in Hialeah, Fl and we had members such as Jerry Gwynn, Chase Knight of Crane Cams, Jerry Tyson of Chrondeck Timing Systems,Danny O'Connell, Bob Stratman retired of Crane Cams, and a host of other inovative and talented racers. Dick Landy held one of the clinics at Biscayne Dodge and I had the pleasure of having his and my "Deadly Dart" on the showroom floor together. I met with him at Carlisle just before he passed away leaving only good memories. As to Bill Golden and his traction device, I am sure that word traveled quite fast in those days with the factories being so involved, so I really can't say if I was first or second with the concept, I just wish I had kept all those old cars
BULL OF THE WOODS

Ghoste