News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electrical Problems

Started by 70charger2006, February 04, 2012, 01:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger2006

I tested my electrical for the first time today in my '70 now that the dash is rebuilt. Here are the results of the test.

As of now this is what works:

Headlights (HI and LOW)
Parking Lights
Front Side Markers
Cluster Lighting
Heater Control Light
Ash Tray Light
Radio Light
Map Light
Dome Light
4 way flashers
Glovebox Light
Key Light

What doesn't work:

Tail Lights
Rear Side Markers
All Turn Signals
Brake Warning Light
Wipers
Washer Pump
Heater Blower
Headlight Motor

The brake pedal switch will need adjustment. Right now the brake lights are always illuminated. I can't seem to figure out how to adjust it more though. It is still about 1/2 inch from touching the pedal. None of the turn signals work but the hazzards do. The green lights on the cluster don't even flash with the turn signals, but they do with the hazzards.

I replace the dash harness, front light harness, engine harness, rear light harness, ignition switch, Heater A/C harness, and wiper motor harness. The flashers, headlight relay and horn relay were also replaced. Everything else is original.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Chryco Psycho

I would start with a new flaser on the turn signals assuming you have power to the plug , to test it switch the flasher from the 4 ways , up to 69 the 4 ways bypass the turn signal switch , 70 up have the hazard built into the turn signal switch , the problem could also be the turn signal switch .
sounds like youhave the wrong bracket for the brake lite switch .
Rear side markers are usually ground problems , check for power there .

70charger2006

I did a little troubleshooting and this is what has happened so far:

Ok. I was able to adjust the bracket for the brake switch so that issue is resolved. Only brake lights when the brakes are engaged now. Although the brake warning light is still not coming on when the E brake is applied.

Also I cleaned up the tail light sockets on the housings to produce a better ground for the plugs. Turned the power on and lights and found that there was no front or rear side marker, parking lights, tail lights or dash lights. Found out that the tail lamp fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and re applied power and it blew again.

Switched the flashers around and still have hazzards. The turn siganals work now except the front left and left blinker on the dash.

Headlight doors still won't open.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Chryco Psycho

The brake warning light is just a ground switch , ground the plug on the park brake or proportioning valve & it should come on , if there is no power at the light then the wire needs to be traced back from there .
Do you have power at the sockets for the turn signals ? if so it is a bad ground , often the socket will not ground to the housing if it is rusty , if everything is working then it sounds like a bad TS switch , you can test for power out to the lights & the plug at the base of the steering column to be sure you have power out to the turn signal circuit  .
Is the headlight switch sending power out to the headlight door motor ?

68neverlate

Quote from: 70charger2006 on February 05, 2012, 06:00:53 PM
Found out that the tail lamp fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and re applied power and it blew again.

Did you ensure to replace with the correct rated fuse?  If so, sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere in that circuit...   

70charger2006

Quote from: 68neverlate on February 06, 2012, 06:28:29 PM
Quote from: 70charger2006 on February 05, 2012, 06:00:53 PM
Found out that the tail lamp fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse and re applied power and it blew again.

Did you ensure to replace with the correct rated fuse?  If so, sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere in that circuit...   

It has a 20A fuse. This is the thing. Originally, the first time I checked the electrical, the taillights did not work and did not blow a fuse and the brake lights, 4 ways, and front side markers all worked. Now, the tail lights still don't work or the front side markers or cluster lights and the fuse is blowing. When I replaced the fuse and gave it another shot I saw the cluster lights come on prior to the fuse blowing again.

I was thinking a short somewhere, but with it not happening before it's kind of wierd. The only thing I did between tests was clean the paint off of the tail lights housings to provide a better ground for the sockets and the install #97 bulbs in the inner sockets.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

70charger2006

Ok, here we go.

Started working on the headlight motor issue. Applied power straight to the motor and it flipped up and down. So, the motor is good. Ran the wires from the motor to the headlight relay and those check out so I'm thinking I don't have to splice the wires. Checked for power at the motor and I did not get a reading. Checked for power at the relay and was getting power at the terminal with the 2 light green wires. I tried my new relay and my old relay. Any ideas??????

Also worked on the taillight issue. Fuse does not blow with the rear harness disconnected. I connected it and as soon as the lights were turned on I got a blown fuse. I then removed all the bulbs from there sockets and turned the lights on. Installing one bulb at a time. After all the bulbs were in, the taillights worked. No more blowing fuses. Weird huh?

Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

A383Wing

i'm gonna guess that one of the rear bulbs was installed wrong at first..it was probably touching the brake terminal of the socket thus trying to light up the brake lights as well, thus blowing fuse

Bryan

BigBlackDodge

Exorcism.

It's your only hope.

BBD

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House