News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metal shavings?

Started by TXcharger70, February 12, 2012, 10:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

What amount of metal shavings are normal on a fresh rebuild aka 383 to 496 stroker motor? Yesterday I was. Changing my oil and was inspecting the oil and filter for shavings.  This is my second oil change with the break in being one of them. I found very fine glitter like shavings in the oil and filter. I have been using castrol 20/50 w/ zddp additive. I don't have any problems with the motor or oil pressure it runs really strong and have about 100 mi on it.

RECHRGD

Our engine gurus will chime in on this one, but that just does not sound good to me.  Flat tappet cam?
13.53 @ 105.32

elacruze

I would pull the manifold and eyeball the cam lobes. You could pull the fuel pump and look at the pushrod first, too, for sport.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TXcharger70

Yes flat tappet. Everything is new top and bottom end and one of the cylinders does have a sleeve not sure if it would make a difference. Like I said it was very fine dust like the majority was in the filter

John_Kunkel

Run a magnet through the shavings, if they stick to the magnet not good. If they don't it could just be normal bearing breakin.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TXcharger70

I did run a magnet  and they do not stick.

John_Kunkel

If the shavings aren't ferrous it's not cam related, I would run it and continue to monitor the filter contents.

There's an old saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing", most people don't cut their filters open.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

If you used a moly paste & assembly lube then the glitter you're seeing is that. It might take a few oil changes for the moly to work it's way through....it stays suspended in the oil and sticks like glue to hard parts which is a good thing.  :2thumbs:

It's also normal to have for a little bearing debris during break-in.  :yesnod:

Just keep an eye on valvelash and if it starts to make any top end noise pull a valvecover and inspect. Personally, i don't think you have anything to worry about  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TXcharger70

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 12, 2012, 07:06:37 PM
If you used a moly paste & assembly lube then the glitter you're seeing is that. It might take a few oil changes for the moly to work it's way through....it stays suspended in the oil and sticks like glue to hard parts which is a good thing.  :2thumbs:

It's also normal to have for a little bearing debris during break-in.  :yesnod:

Just keep an eye on valvelash and if it starts to make any top end noise pull a valvecover and inspect. Personally, i don't think you have anything to worry about  ;)

Ron

Thank you all for the help. Ron  I will keep a close eye on it thanks for the reassurance