News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project Phoenix: Restoring a Superbird TWICE in one lifetime

Started by rainbow4jd, February 06, 2012, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

OK, I think I need to start documenting and sharing my story now that the Bird is beginning to make progress.

I'll start with my photo from 1983 and the first restoration (which I did on a college kids budget).   Then I''ll bring everyone up to speed starting from the beginning in subsequent posts.

The Bird is in Lexington KY, my hometown, under the watchful eyes of my dad and my restoration supervisor and my body man (who both live there)

Steve Vance
Pittsburgh PA

hemi68charger

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story... That's a nice 'Bird there.......... u or v code?

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

rainbow4jd

440-4V    rm23u0a158628
4 speed and Dana of course
White buckets
about 38,000 miles

billssuperbird

rainbow4jd

Wing it - its 999 Corporate Blue aka Petty Blue

Bill - did you have your car at a car show in Heidleburg Wal-Mart about 10 years ago?   I might have met you then.  I needed a jump when the show was over.

WINGIN IT

Thanks, do  you know where the car was from originally or have dealer paperwork on it?
I can't recall the VIN , but there was a Superbird with the exact same options supposedly from my area of NY.

rainbow4jd

The car was originally delivered to Clean Auto Sales in Cynthiana, KY.   It was used as a dealer demo since it wouldn't sell.    Danny Gregory of Lexington, KY had bought a 1971 Challenger RT from Clean Auto Sales and several months later saw the Superbird on their used car lot.   He traded "even' for it - the Challenger for the Superbird.   That was in the fall of 1971.

Do to a series of events that'll I'll describe later - it set from 1972 until 1982 when my friend Bryan Skanes's dad bought it (as they already had one Superbird at the time).   The project was too much for them to take on and about two month's into their ownership I bought it for $2,500.  Bryan and I spent the better part of a year working on it and putting it back together until it was "fired up" and back on the road in September 1983.

billssuperbird

WINGIN IT

Quote from: rainbow4jd on February 08, 2012, 07:29:57 PM
The car was originally delivered to Clean Auto Sales in Cynthiana, KY.   It was used as a dealer demo since it wouldn't sell.    Danny Gregory of Lexington, KY had bought a 1971 Challenger RT from Clean Auto Sales and several months later saw the Superbird on their used car lot.   He traded "even' for it - the Challenger for the Superbird.   That was in the fall of 1971.

Do to a series of events that'll I'll describe later - it set from 1972 until 1982 when my friend Bryan Skanes's dad bought it (as they already had one Superbird at the time).   The project was too much for them to take on and about two month's into their ownership I bought it for $2,500.  Bryan and I spent the better part of a year working on it and putting it back together until it was "fired up" and back on the road in September 1983.

Great, thanks ,good info. Not the car I'm looking for, but I believe the VIN is in the same run as the one I am.