News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

no spark to fire up my new motor

Started by nrt69, January 04, 2012, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

So far when I hook up the neg side of my coil, I get nothing. I have power going to the coil but that kinda and seems to stop at the coil + post. After that it's all dead. I say I have a coil that died on me. 

404NOTFOUND

Ok. Problem solved on mine.  There was a small crack in the neck of the coil next to the negative terminal which allowed the spark in the center terminal to jump through the crack and ground out. Carbon tracking in the crack steadily made it worse until there was no spark at all. I installed a new MSD Blaster 2 coil. The system passed all tests with strong spark. Engine fired right up and ran much smoother and stronger than ever before. It idled higher and I was able to turn the idle down. Have a close look at your coil and even if it looks OK, replace it with a Blaster. They are not expensive and installation is dead simple. Let us know how it goes.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

MoparManJim

Well even with the coil having one broken "-" peg on it. I hook up the coil to the battery and ran the middle coil wire over to the rad support just to see if it would jump. I hook up the battery to the coil an tapped the neg wire on a screw that was screwed into the rad support.. the coil wire started through spark, not to mention, I put a sprak plug into the wire just to see if the spark plug was any good or not, they both "are" an I also got charged alittle while with the metal piece of the coil hooked to the spark plug an my finger slightly on the metal!  :smilielol: :icon_smile_blackeye: