News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GL guys with their "tan" interiors that do not look tan at all

Started by bull, February 10, 2012, 05:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

When the cars were built by Valuents (spelling probably wrong), most dyed interiors looked more brown than they did tan. They also left the round side markers on 68 Chargers, just simply painted over them.

Jason

Indygenerallee

On my General Lee I am building I am doing a early California. (Narrow pushbar, flame red, with the dark brown interior even the rollbar was wrapped in what looks to be brown duct tape, stainless wheel trim) I think the late California cars with the light, light tan look funny. I think WB had this done to improve lighting when filming John and Tom inside the cars.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bull

Quote from: Indygenerallee on February 11, 2012, 02:54:34 PM
I think WB had this done to improve lighting when filming John and Tom inside the cars.

:scratchchin: I guess that's a possibility. Still, if they wanted to improve lighting they could have come up with just about any story for having Cooter switch the interior to white. "That last pond landing finally did the interior in, boys. But you're in luck. I pulled the white interior out of that derby car 'ol Leroy drove last summer..."

kikgas01

bad88t-top

I know on my car there was several names for the interior pieces
Dash Paint:   Puma Tan
Seat Covers:  Medium Saddle
Headliner/Package Tray: Saddle

That's for '70 anyhow   
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

Mike DC

QuoteI think WB had this done to improve lighting when filming John and Tom inside the cars.

I guess that's a possibility. Still, if they wanted to improve lighting they could have come up with just about any story for having Cooter switch the interior to white. "That last pond landing finally did the interior in, boys. But you're in luck. I pulled the white interior out of that derby car 'ol Leroy drove last summer..."

I'm sure that played a role in the later crew choosing a lighter color than the earlier crew.  Hollywood prefers light, pale, flat colors for car interiors. 

They probably never gave it a ton of thought when they switched it because they weren't really thinking in terms of changing the car.  A new crew was being handed the job of building GLs without any of the specific info for what the last crew had been doing.  They didn't even know the orange shade the last crew had used.  Everything from the pushbars to the numbers & flag dimensions was redone from scratch.   The new crew's primary concern was to improve the continuity of the cars (the show was getting letters from fans noticing inconsistencies), and come up with a pushbar that didn't fall off or knock out the plastic grille dividers.

Chargen69

I'm sure WB didnt know or care what orignal tan meant, it really is only now that it means anything, back then when the cars were only 10-15 years old, it didnt matter.