News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Many Swapped out the Original Engine as Insurance, pros/cons

Started by carsnguitars, January 19, 2012, 12:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsnguitars

I am sure this has been discussed before.
Just curious on thoughts about this subject.
I know I prefer driving my cars original as is, but alwasy worry bout pilling the miles on or damaging the engine.

How many have pulled the original engine to save it?

I have thought about it, but drive as they came form the factory still...Pros...Cons... Guys?

MoparMotel

I've been considering doing the same thing. I'd like to pull my numbers matching 383 and put it on an engine stand and wrap it in plastic. Then buy a 440 off craigslist for $500-1000 and build a fun 450-500hp 440 to stuff in there for some fun.

Pros for me would be knowing my numbers matching engine is safe on an engine stand and not going to get damaged.

Cons would be not having the numbers engine in the car plus the cost of the replacement engine.
1968 Dodge Charger

68blue

The origional engine was 383 2 barrel, about all thats left origional is the block. Really wasn't much usable left, so instead of rebuilding we built it up to what it is today. FUN.

Chryco Psycho

it can only be original once , if it is important to you pull it & build a bigger engine
If you are driving it stock now & are Ok with that I doubt you would ever hurt the engine , the block can always be sleeved if it wears out but if you want more power you are better off building another engine & you can stroke it & make it perform better then the factory imagined & still look stock .