News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Discuss. Firm feel sector support.

Started by FLG, January 16, 2012, 07:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

It would be nice if they could give any background on the flexing, and the improvements...

bull

This is the first I've seen of this but is seems like it would improve things. When you consider how much of that box is hanging out past its mounting holes without any support you can assume there's going to be some play there.

Chatt69chgr

They used to sell a strengthened K-member.  It added large washers around the lower control arm pivot shaft holes, the strut holes, and boxed in the steering chuck mount as well as rewelding as many of the welds as they could get to and adding a skid plate.  They have pictures on their website of this still.  With the pictures, you can do this yourself.  If you do this and add the sector shaft stabilizing bearing then that is going to nail that part of the steering system down.  There is an article in this months Mopar Action discussing improvements to the front suspension and steering components.  It is the latest in a series on this.  The sector shaft piece was discussed last month.
The most important things to do are:  have Firm Feel rebuild your steering box (use a 73-1/2 and up large sector box--it bolts right onto a 69 and allows you to use a $50 Moog pitman arm)--at least stage 2; Firm Feel is about to market a kit to upgrade the idler arm--you use their parts to rebuild yours; get positive caster by either using offset UCA bushings or buy a tubular UCA with built in postive caster---the Firm Feel piece gives you about 4 degrees of positive caster with standard Moog UCA bushings---not the offset ones--which is what Dick recommends.  According to them, it isn't so necessary to use polyurethane UCA bushings.  If you did want to use polyurethane then the place to use them would be in the LCA.  Might want to buy their greaseable LCA pin to deal with squeaks.  I just ordered their tubular UCA.  Already had their adj strut rod and stage 2 box.  Will use all MOOG ruber bushings. 

HPP

IMO, this is an alternative to properly bracing the steering box mount. Chrysler did not brace the steering box mount enough to reduce deflection.   If your engine is out of the bay, you can weld a couple of gussets to the mount and and achieve the same results for pennies. However, if your car is together, there is no way to access that area, so this is the next best thing. Is it worth it...that depends. How hard do you drive your car, how aggressive is your alignment, and how wide are your front tires? The harder you push the car, the more caster you add to the alignment and the wider your tires are, the more flex your going to introduce in this area. If you have F70x14 tires and only drive to shows and parades, you might not see a noticeable difference.

ChargerST

Hmm, I wonder if I should talk my dad into fabricating a piece like that. He's got a lathe at home and is pretty good with it. Basically you just have to make an extended nut (or weld a tube to the existing nut) that turns in a tube which is attached to a metal plate..