News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Mogadishu Somalia Veterans here?

Started by Bob, January 19, 2006, 06:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I served in Somalia from July 93 to Feb 94. We deployed from Ft Drum and after we got there they told us our 90 day rotation has changed. They deactivated our unit and left us there over 7 months so they would not have to rotate any more units. We kicked but. Been in the worst situations but made some great lifelong friends.

Bob

Guns N Rotors

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighting aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

Bob

Duey

Not there myself, but a lot of buds from my squadron were flying out of Belet Huen...

Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Bob

Bob

Duey

Quote from: 400 Big Block on January 19, 2006, 08:09:44 AM
Duey,
What post were you at?

Heavy lift in Ottawa, then flying with 'some customers' near our capitol region.  Currently PCS in Kingston, Ontario, 'bout 45 min north of Ft.Drum and the 10th Mountain.  In an advisor job in Afghanistan now but I'll probably be back here as a line aviator in a year.

Cheers,
Duey

Bob

topduarte

Somebody from my high school was one of the ones killed there, Sgt. Lorenzo Ruiz!!! :'(

Duey

RIP Sgt Ruiz... :patriot:

400BB, yup...21 years service and still counting. Huah! ;D

Cheers
Duey

Bob

We lost allot of great soldiers in October. It was a very sad day. There were other days that CNN or any other news source did not think news worthy. We were stuck on the outer perimeter and could not get in.

Duey,
God bless you for your continued service. I retired in Feb of 97 with 21 years. I consider those the best years of my life. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

HDCharger

I retire in 3 months!!!  Didn't do Somalia but I have 13 months in Kuwait and 2 tours in Iraq.  Its time to say goodbye and start a "new" life.  The Army has been good to me but being gone over 1/2 the year every year 5 out of the last 7 is enough.  I just may get my Charger done now.  Dave
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

sixpack70

I worked with MSG Eversman for a month at ROTC advanced camp. Semmed like a pretty cool guy. He got fired up when talking about killing terrorists at the Infantry demo tent. He also said Josh Hartnett was a flake! Thats pretty funny. (Josh Hartnett played him in the movie Blackhawk down)
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

Duey

I and a bunch of other Candaian aviators had the opportunity to talk with Mike Durant about a year after his deal in Mog.  Our unit was doing a small unit exchange down in Campbell with some 101st and other aviators and we met him down at the smoker area just south of the main airstrip...fascinating story, especially when told straight from his own mouth!  I have his book, "In the Company of Heros."  A good read for sure!  NSDQ!  :patriot:

Cheers,
Duey

Bob

Dave,
It will be a shock for sure. I had so many plans after I retired but money drove the train. There is a lot of talk about how bad the military is and was. Of course it was worse on the families. But all in all there was no experience like it. Being a two digit migit feels great.
Bob

HDCharger

Bob, I can tell you from first hand experience that there is no sweeter feeling than getting off that plane back in the good ole U.S. of A.  Take care man. 
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

myk

A girl I was...."close" with, her father served as a Ranger there during that period...