News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spec of the 440 and 440+6 cam

Started by nelson_audet, February 24, 2012, 02:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson_audet

i need to have the spec of

440 magnum cam
440+6 cam
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

b5blue

Same grind for lift and duration, however the six pack's lobe slope is less angled. (Requires diff. lifter)
440 resto, P4452783 DURATION 268*/284* OVERLAP 46* CENTER LINE 115* LIFT .450/.458   RECOMMENDED SPRING P3690933
440 6PAK, P4529270  SAME AS ABOVE FOR SPEC'S
:2thumbs:

Challenger340

CompCams also offer an "updated" Camshaft, a reproduction of the same Factory Mopar 375 Horse 440 Magnum and 390 Horse 6 Pack grind, that uses a common Lifter profile.
It is offered under the 21-305-4 Part number for single Bolt, and " 23" -305-4 for 3 bolt applications.

Events are as follows Adv Duration 268/276
                          Duration @ .050 222/226
                                            Lift  .464"/ .464"

I have personally used this grind on a '69 440-6 Pack restoration engine, and have DYNO'd it for 425hp and 530 Ft/Lbs Trq using Factory Manifolds through 2 1/4" Pipes on Pocket Ported only 906 Heads with stock valves and 9.5:1 Compression Ratio(pump fuel).
Only wimps wear Bowties !

b5blue

Good to point out only the "resto" cam is single bolt. It's the one I went with as I had previously bought timing chain and gears. It works nicely with my six-pack.

Challenger340

Quote from: b5blue on February 25, 2012, 11:13:10 AM
Good to point out only the "resto" cam is single bolt. It's the one I went with as I had previously bought timing chain and gears. It works nicely with my six-pack.

Glad to hear you like it...would love to hear more about it's manners from someone who has actually driven it ?
Vacuum etc ?

I was pretty surprised with it on the Dyno...made very good power !

b5blue

At first I thought I really screwed the pooch. After a lot of research mapping a fairly bone stock as possible rebuild with Speed-Pro 9.5 to 1 Hypers @ .060 over, stock 346 heads (For the induction hardened valve seats) and a reman. 71 dizzy I had a car that ran like crap.
  Vacuum was low, power terrible and 5-6 miles to the gal. average. Over the next 16 months I found all the "new" problems one by one and fixed them and now it purrs like a tiger. Here's what I learned:
The center carb to intake manifold gasket is not the same as outboards, it must extend far enough to close up the slot for the PCV intake.
  Outboards must have metering plate-backing plates and the metering plates must be perfectly flat, there are tiny cork O rings that seal the idle air adjusters and the taper and shape of the adjusters must be perfectly pointed.
  Six pack's with aluminum intakes like the "Heat passage" blocked off with a 1/8th hole drilled in the block off on both sides to prevent heat soaked restarts.
   Intake gasket/valley pan sets may require thinner/thicker paper gaskets then supplied above and below the valley pan to get a proper seal, depending on block deck height and heads used.
  Bowl float height for all 3 carbs is critical.
  Generic reman dizzys are crap. After 3 duds I got one from Don at FBO with an ignition set that is adjusted for my build and it's sweet! (Six Packs love a proper working vacuum advance and curve set dizzy.)   
  Weak idle output from the Alt charging drastically effects ignition performance. (I gave up and spent the money for a 120amp Denso conversion kit, works great!)
  Bad/wrong parts from known shops/vendors, overlooked details from my (Trusted) carb re builder fairly accounted for all the issues but had to be found out to be fixed, tuning for today's fuels is super important, all details outlined effected these aspects of tuning and had me in tears for quite sometime. 

Challenger340

Quote from: b5blue on February 25, 2012, 12:32:12 PM
  At first I thought I really screwed the pooch. After a lot of research mapping a fairly bone stock as possible rebuild with Speed-Pro 9.5 to 1 Hypers @ .060 over, stock 346 heads (For the induction hardened valve seats) and a reman. 71 dizzy I had a car that ran like crap.
  Vacuum was low, power terrible and 5-6 miles to the gal. average. Over the next 16 months I found all the "new" problems one by one and fixed them and now it purrs like a tiger. Here's what I learned:
The center carb to intake manifold gasket is not the same as outboards, it must extend far enough to close up the slot for the PCV intake.
  Outboards must have metering plate-backing plates and the metering plates must be perfectly flat, there are tiny cork O rings that seal the idle air adjusters and the taper and shape of the adjusters must be perfectly pointed.
  Six pack's with aluminum intakes like the "Heat passage" blocked off with a 1/8th hole drilled in the block off on both sides to prevent heat soaked restarts.
   Intake gasket/valley pan sets may require thinner/thicker paper gaskets then supplied above and below the valley pan to get a proper seal, depending on block deck height and heads used.
  Bowl float height for all 3 carbs is critical.
  Generic reman dizzys are crap. After 3 duds I got one from Don at FBO with an ignition set that is adjusted for my build and it's sweet! (Six Packs love a proper working vacuum advance and curve set dizzy.)   
  Weak idle output from the Alt charging drastically effects ignition performance. (I gave up and spent the money for a 120amp Denso conversion kit, works great!)
  Bad/wrong parts from known shops/vendors, overlooked details from my (Trusted) carb re builder fairly accounted for all the issues but had to be found out to be fixed, tuning for today's fuels is super important, all details outlined effected these aspects of tuning and had me in tears for quite sometime. 

YEP !
I feel your PAIN....we spent a WHOLE DAY fixing the customers supposedly "perfect", and "ready to run", purchased "Complete & Assembled" Six-pack setup from one of the best on the Internet !
EGT's were absolutely out to lunch, A/F ratios a joke, and it literally had foreign pieces still present in the bowls from manufacturing processes.
Once sorted though....
very happy with the power from that "stock" grind with the oh-so-smooth Idle....

b5blue

Members here saved my butt several times!  THANKS!  :cheers:
  I never found out what ever happened to my carb guy RD. Back in 96 he rebuilt the six pack and tuned it for the 509 cam. It ran flawless for 7 years as my daily driver logging thousands of miles. During the cars hibernation waiting for a block rebuild/head swap he sold me a pristine set of 346 heads and went through the six pack. By the time the car was on the road again several years later he and his shop were gone. He knew my "target build" this time was stock spec. and was very helpful. (Even found me a 440 forged crank ready to go for 150.00 when I broke mine a few years earlier.) I think his trainees/helpers must have had a hand in the errors as they were very excited about the six pack.
  I posted this here to inform details of dealing with used six packs for Nelson. The six pack can be a rugged, reliable performer but setup is critical.  :2thumbs: