News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1967 dodge charger upper door trim removal (plastic pieces)

Started by Dave27, February 16, 2015, 02:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave27

Getting the 67 charger ready to go to the paint shop so I'm removing the chrome trim,etc :icon_smile_cool: Well I got allmost all  the chrome off .The problem is the chrome trim on the door is held on with plastic square clips. How do you remove those for painting  :scratchchin: or do you guys leave them there and tell the painter to be carefull when sanding. :2thumbs: I heard they are alittle spendy and hard to find so I thought I could remove them and reinstall after paint but I couldnt see how they came off.  :shruggy: Any help much appreciated...Thankyou.....Dave

ODZKing

The door clips look like these.  HOWEVER you also have nuts at both ends holding the moulding on.  Second clip down  in the multi clip picture below with the acorn nut on it..  Those come off, then the trim GENTLY pry's off.
Sorry for the crappy pic(s)

Dave27

Ok but see the plastic one in your picture how does that one come off do you just pry it off as well...... My plastic one looks just like that but it appears to have a paper thin rectangle metal base under the pastic .Maybe thats the difference between origonal, and aftermarket is all plastic......So say you have removed all of the upper door molding as I have, now you have all of those rectangle plastic clips that held it on how do those come off.Thankyou....Dave....I have done a search and couldnt find anything about removing the plastic clips and reinstalling them as well.

ODZKing

I probably should have been a bit more clear on the stud-clip.  There is a stud in the clip an a hole on each end of the door.  The stud is secured with the acorn nut and holds the front and rear of the long moulding.  Now I am assuming you mean the ridge moulding, not the piece closest to the glass. The only near the glass is the spring clips.
I attached another pic of a moulding with the stud clip on it ... it just sits in there.

Dave27

I'll take a picture when I get a chance to clarify. I get how to undo the accorn nut on the ridge molding of the door but what about all the ones inbetween on the ridge molding those are the ones I wasnt sure how to get off.I dont want to pull my door panel off again if I dont have to hopefully they just pop off. I havnt tried yet do to I didnt want to break them. but I get what your saying about the end 2 having a nut on them.Thanks again....Dave.

A383Wing

acorn nut unscrews, if it breaks, go to hardware store....

J.Bond

Door panel has to come off to remove all the clips in between the two outer acorn nut clips. The middle clips have a center lock pin that is pressed in after you insert the clip into the mounting hole.  If you are intending on using the original clips, the pins can be pushed up using a scribe or a small punch, not a fun job.

Dave27

Thanks Jbond that was what I was looking for.I went ahead and pulled the door panels back off.Thankyou to others as well for trying to help.Car is now in the paint shop should have primer on it tomorrow if all bodywork gets completed as planned :) some of those clips were hard from age and exploded when trying to remove so I need to locate some new ones :/

ODZKing

Dave27

Thankyou I was just trying to find a place to buy them :)