News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aussie newbie

Started by DR1969, August 15, 2011, 05:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: macca3441 on August 17, 2011, 05:48:13 PM
I guess you never know if you dont go have a look. It might've been the buy of the century! lol

Funny that. How the cars that are described as being great usually are not, and the ones that aren't described as being good usually are pretty good.... Sucks wasting money on flights for cars that are bombs.

If you can find them I'd try to line up a few cars to view on a trip like that are all within driving distance so the trip isn't such a waste. I flew to NSW to get my Charger but debated purchasing it for a while as it was slightly overpriced as well. You also have to weigh up shipping, import fees, duty, cost of shipping for larger parts from the USA, headaches etc.... I ended up buying it anyways for that reason, it was already registered at the time, it was here in Australia and it was in great 100% complete shape. Turn the key and drive it.

Another thing you have to weigh up is do you want to completely build/restore it or drive it and do bits and pieces to it here and there ? Although most Chargers in Aus are overpriced you still couldn't build/restore one for less.

Darkman

My Charger was 10k USD (when the Aussie dollar was $0.85  :brickwall: $12k AUD). By the time I paid agent's fees (for finding the car and "buying it" for me), inspections, shipping, GST, Customs, and a new roof skin, it ended up costing $21k.

Still it was a driver and it was exactly what I was looking for....something that needed work but not a complete wreck.

I could have bought a nicely done Charger and had it imported for $45K, but I didn't have those funds accessible at the time. This way I am now pulling apart and rebuilding the car myself and having a blast doing it. However, I will only do this once so if I was to buy another classic/muscle car (one for the wife) it will be already done
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Agreed pulling it apart and building it is the most fun, but it gets very expensive quickly. At least with the dollar so good at the moment it isn't so bad.

I guess it really depends on what you want or are looking for. Any Charger that has had all the metal work done properly is going to be pretty pricey in my opinion.

doctor4766

I know I've mentioned it before but the Charger I bought from Just Mustangs in Melbourne (sight unseen too) was better than I was expecting. Zero rust! A little beat around, and a clapped out engine and tranny but otherwise solid.
I did need to search for a shitload of moldings and interior pieces to put her back together but I was quite pleased with Russell's service myself.
That blue Charger he's got listed atm doesn't look bad too for the price.
Gotta love a '69

dodgey68

Quote from: Darkman on August 17, 2011, 06:53:11 AM
Quote from: DR1969 on August 17, 2011, 04:29:59 AM
Quote from: rooks on August 16, 2011, 05:15:11 PM
G'day David.

If you're after a specific colour/engine/trans combo you'll probably have better luck sourcing one from the States - but do keep an eye out locally. A few do pop up, unfortunately they're more often than not anywhere from 25%-50% over-priced.

Keep an eye on Mopar Market.

There's a decent look one on Just Mustangs - bit over-priced though.

hey rooks , thanks for the help, i will keep looking locally as well.
I thought my search was over with that blue 69 at Just Mustangs, id been waiting for it to arrive for weeks, pestering Russell and went and checked it out as soon as it arrived, but i was disappointed to say the least, i think the photos were taken some time ago because it didn't look that good in the flesh, it needs a full resto, boot(lol trunk), sills, rear quarters, floor. just way to much work for me, look I'm not bagging Russell at all, he couldn't have been more helpful and didn't mind all my calls and even returned my calls, some other importers are just very rude and i wouldn't want to buy a car from them, Russell has some real nice cars there, and seems like a genuine good bloke.
But it has taught don't rely on photos, ebay etc.

Russell is OK in terms of help and all, but nevertheless a car salesman. I drove 15 hours to pick up one of his junker chargers and it was nothing like it was described in the add.

I bought a 68 for 10K USD and imported it myself. It was a complete runner that needed some body work, but that was what I wanted. Something I could put my "personal" touches on.

PS Hello and welcome to the site  :wave:

yep,, i actually purchased one of his chargers, it wasnt exactly what he said in the add, but it was the cheepest one there was specially when dollar was at ,,,aus $.78 , but i was ok with the car, but it did have heeps of bog, but buggerall rust. but look at the car now, do your home work and ask questions, specially on this site and with the other aussies were to get good deals

when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

aussiemuscle

Welcome to the site

Quote from: DR1969 on August 16, 2011, 06:16:28 AM
   Id even consider taking a trip to States to locate and buy one, i would love to drive it over there and then bring it back as my own car.
You have to own it for 12 months before you can import it under personal import rules.

Laxy

Quote from: aussiemuscle on August 18, 2011, 05:27:30 PM
Welcome to the site

Id even consider taking a trip to States to locate and buy one, i would love to drive it over there and then bring it back as my own car.
You have to own it for 12 months before you can import it under personal import rules.

No luckily that doesn't apply to older cars (pre-80 something? - can't remember the cutoff anymore), you can import whatever Charger you like. I was working over there for a few months and shipped mine back after I had only been there 6 weeks, wasn't even an issue, I could have just done it all without even being in the US.
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

rooks

Quote from: Laxy on August 18, 2011, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: aussiemuscle on August 18, 2011, 05:27:30 PM
Welcome to the site

No luckily that doesn't apply to older cars (pre-80 something? - can't remember the cutoff anymore), you can import whatever Charger you like. I was working over there for a few months and shipped mine back after I had only been there 6 weeks, wasn't even an issue, I could have just done it all without even being in the US.

True.

The "live in country and own for at least 12 months" rule for personal imports only applies to newer vehicles. Pre-1989 vehicles can be imported without these restrictions.

MoPar_440

MoPar_440 - your car's twin is in Adelaide in my shed!  :2thumbs:
[/quote]

Post up pics please  :cheers: :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger, all numbers matching 383 BB, factory air, 727, PP1 red, Black vinyl roof, black interior, Magnum 500 wheels..yes i have Dodge fever.... There's only one cure...CHARGER!!!!

Mopar....No replacement for displacement!!!

C500

Have any of you Aussie guys imported a charger into NSW? What is required to get the car road legal? I know someone in NZ looking to head over with a 69 Charger. The car has been in NZ for over 3 years. Cheers.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

skip68

Welcome to the site.   :cheers:   
If you find a car over here in the USA you can get a member here to go look at it for you.    We do that all the time for other members.  Good luck.   

Chuck ...............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

rooks

Quote from: C500 on October 27, 2011, 04:14:58 AM
Have any of you Aussie guys imported a charger into NSW? What is required to get the car road legal? I know someone in NZ looking to head over with a 69 Charger. The car has been in NZ for over 3 years. Cheers.

'69 is a good year. For NSW, all that needs changing are the headlights, ensuring they dip to the left and not to the right (because we drive on the other side of the road than the US).

That is it. Doesn't need to change seatbelts. Lap belts are fine for front & back. Red rear brake/indicator combo is fine - Amber not necessary. No engineers certificate/approval needed at all. Just your standard Blue Slip.

This is assuming, however, that there weren't any funky modifications made to it during it's y ears (tubs, roll cage etc).

MaxE48

Hi, I also am importing a'70 Charger, would that be the same- changing the headlights? I am going to register it in the ACT.

G-man

Quote from: Laxy on August 16, 2011, 03:05:52 AM
Welcome Dave, which state are you in? Buying locally is overpriced as usual (especially given how good our dollar is!), but with the tightened import laws you would need to make sure anything imported was dead stock/unmodified to minimise hassles on this end.

As mentioned above, G-man in NSW has a couple of nice big-block 4-speed 68 Chargers but can't drive a stick shift so is looking to offload them in order to buy a Ferrari or a Formula 1 car. Yes I'm serious.

PS. I sincerely hope you don't drink Fosters  :icon_smile_big:

That same guy has moved to queensland and he already sold 1 4-speed charger and now is selling an 727 on the column auto car that is completely original and is able to pass inspection anywhere in the entire country. He is also selling to get something new and definitely not an F1 car. He also can drive a manual. - Next time have some facts in your head before you are 'serious'  :hah:

Beer sucks, it kills brain cells and I am mad enough without it  :lol:

rooks

Quote from: MaxE48 on December 03, 2011, 04:11:24 AM
Hi, I also am importing a'70 Charger, would that be the same- changing the headlights? I am going to register it in the ACT.

ADR's (Australian Design Rules) require Lap/Sash front seat-belt's for any car manufactured after January 1, 1969. Technically (legally), a 1970 Charger will require front Lap/Sash seat-belt's. Jan1 1971 is the date for rear lap/sash belts.

That, plus headlights, is all you'll need to change.

These are Australia wide regulations, however each state will have differing methods in how those rules & regulations are met, authorised and enforced - engineers, safety checks, etc. Your local motor authority website will list the details. Being the ACT, like everything else you'll probably find the rules are very relaxed compared to the rest of the Country.  :icon_smile_big: Buy me some fireworks!

doctor4766

Quote from: rooks on December 01, 2011, 01:00:08 AM
Quote from: C500 on October 27, 2011, 04:14:58 AM

'69 is a good year. For NSW, all that needs changing are the headlights, ensuring they dip to the left and not to the right (because we drive on the other side of the road than the US).

That is it. Doesn't need to change seatbelts. Lap belts are fine for front & back. Red rear brake/indicator combo is fine - Amber not necessary. No engineers certificate/approval needed at all. Just your standard Blue Slip.

This is assuming, however, that there weren't any funky modifications made to it during it's y ears (tubs, roll cage etc).

Speak for yourself rooks lol.

Quote from: MaxE48 on December 03, 2011, 04:11:24 AM
Should only require adjustment Max. Just so the lights shine more to to the kerb side.
You won't need to change them out altogether.
Gotta love a '69

buddybaker

Another Aussie, and another David.

It has been very interesting reading here over the past months.

The red 68 Charger that G-Man (George) was selling looked great at 15 feet, but look a little closer and...............

I have bought in the US and locally with cars and you can't beat a really good look yourself, here or there. Plenty of total wrecks here and in the US. For our current Charger I chose a local car that had been imported by someone else, but it had the colour and options we were after despite requiring some work.

You can be lucky with used parts here, I found two front buckets for $350.

G-man

Quote from: buddybaker on December 06, 2011, 07:05:47 AM
Another Aussie, and another David.

It has been very interesting reading here over the past months.

The red 68 Charger that G-Man (George) was selling looked great at 15 feet, but look a little closer and...............

Yeah, that car was not the best. However, the car mentioned here that Im selling is the blue one, which you can get within an arms length and go "wow" over.  :icon_smile_wink:

buddybaker

The blue ones sounds nice G-Man. We got a '71. Getting close to on the road now.