News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you automatically look to Chrysler Corp. first when buying a car?

Started by bull, December 14, 2011, 10:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your SOP when buying a car, new or used?

I refuse to look beyond Chrysler when buying a car
I always exhaust all Chrysler offerings first before looking elsewhere
I only look to domestic car companies
All makes are on the table from the start when I buy
I buy the first cheap POS that lands in my lap

Troy

For what it's worth, new cars are so much better (quality, performance, efficiency) than even 5 year old cars - which in turn were way better than the 5 year old cars at the time. After price, once the quality is similar it leaves people with choosing a car by style (which was always there any way) and customer service.

I have a lot of hobbies and, in all, I have found that nearly every manufacturer has a high end, a middle, and an economy/value line. Surprisingly, the economy line is generally what produces the most profit (but since more people buy it any flaws become public in a hurry). So, when someone asks me "is this brand of car/ski/snowboard/bicycle/skate/gun any good" I can't really give an honest opinion without knowing which model they are interested in. Some brands consistently aim high so their "cheap stuff" isn't nearly as bad as competing brands. I guess that staying brand loyal within a particular class makes some sense but I don't see any value in it otherwise.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

NHCharger

Well, Chrysler just boned me for the last time. I've had four Chrysler products since 1985, all have had triple their share of problems over my Chevy work vans which I beat the shit out of.My wife's 2000 Grand Cherokee died on the way to work. Mechanic just called (he's a diehard Mopar guy). Something in the timing broken, valve train damaged, no compression, major $$ to fix. Only 124k miles on this POS. I just finished welding in new rockers on both sides since they were rotted out. I'm done with any new Chrysler vehicle.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Fred

Quote from: NHCharger on January 11, 2012, 05:59:58 AM
Well, Chrysler just boned me for the last time. I've had four Chrysler products since 1985, all have had triple their share of problems over my Chevy work vans which I beat the shit out of.My wife's 2000 Grand Cherokee died on the way to work. Mechanic just called (he's a diehard Mopar guy). Something in the timing broken, valve train damaged, no compression, major $$ to fix. Only 124k miles on this POS. I just finished welding in new rockers on both sides since they were rotted out. I'm done with any new Chrysler vehicle.

But aren't all new cars just slapped together these days? It's all about making a buck, no quality and certainly nothing seems to last like it once used to.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

NHCharger

Quote from: Fred on January 11, 2012, 06:06:37 PM
But aren't all new cars just slapped together these days? It's all about making a buck, no quality and certainly nothing seems to last like it once used to.

Yes and no. I think any newer car that doesn't get thrashed and you change to oil every 5k miles, you should easily get 150k miles out of the engine. My two previous work vans (Chebbies) both had 200k miles on them before they were deemed not worth the cost of fixing to pass the annual state inspection. My current work van has 140k miles on it and runs like a champ. I now have a company p/u so my van is now sitting rusting away :-\

Don't forget, our old cars we now cherish. You got a one year/12k mile warranty. After five or six years up here in the rust belt they were driven to the scrap yard.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel