News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone own a Viper?

Started by 1970Moparmann, December 17, 2011, 04:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

As some of you know by recent posts, my head is going in all directions.  I have three old cool cars, but I'm thinking of unloading one of the them and picking up a Viper. 

Anyone own one and can offer any feedback on the following years - 94, 95, or 96?   I'm been looking and this these years would be in my price range after I sell a car.

:2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

472 R/T SE

We have a truck that came from the factory with a Viper motor.  I'm still not used to the sound.  I can't even tell you what driving it's like, I've only driven it a handful of times.  Since I sold the 'cuda though I'm taking the truck over & she gets the Maggie.

My favorite year/model Viper would be the '96 GTS blue with white stripes.

My buddy has an '08.  He hardly ever drives it, he's actually gonna sell it & buy a Challenger he said.

You like toting your kids, family along with you in your hot rods so would a Viper be detrimental?  Or is that the purpose, get away on your own?

CAPER

Have a 2000 Viper which is a great car and Bulletproof.  Had it for a long time and no issues. Also had a 2005 srt-10 Truck,2 door 6 speed which was lethal.

Rolling_Thunder

I've driven the SRT10 Ram with a 6-speed...   scary truck...   

Ridden in a couple vipers - stock and 1200+hp...       Both are scary creatures...     Very easy for people to loose it in one. They are coming down in price though - even the most recent years...      see them for around $30,000-$40,000 for low mileage examples.   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 17, 2011, 07:33:38 PM

You like toting your kids, family along with you in your hot rods so would a Viper be detrimental?  Or is that the purpose, get away on your own?

I'm fortunate to have (3) cars now.   I want to sell the Coronet Rag, but the kids and wife like it too much.  I really want to do some road racing on open track days and such.   When I saw that 1994 - 1996 are going for what they are, it started to make my wheels turn in my head again. 

I need to drive one in Spring and that will dictate what I do also.

HPP

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 17, 2011, 08:34:49 PM
Very easy for people to loose it in one.    

This is a fact. My Bro let me drive his Viper at the drags once. Nursed it off the line in 2nd gear to keep it out of wheelspin, but I wasn't gentle enough. It was hazing the tires just enough that a powershift in to third broke em loose, creating a massive smoke show and a slow spin at about 80 mph at mid track. Almost backed it in to the wall. I got it all straightened back out, and still managed a 108 mph pass from mid track.

They do sound different. They are still throaty, but the odd fire is't like a V8 rumble. The two seat arrangeent will prohibit it from ever being a family fun car, but it will be a blast at track days. I've heard of transmission issues poping up in the 1st gen units, so make sure you test drive any of them you are considering.

chargerboy69

My best friend has had his 1999 RT/10 for roughly five years.  He has not had any real problems with the car, of course he does not beat on it and drives it slow enough to drive Miss Daisy.  It did have a oil leak, which he was able to fix himself. Other than that it seems to be a very well made car. Of course very fast and a blast to drive.  The only drawback I have with the cars if you are tall, they can feel a bit small. His is not so bad as he always has the top off, but at 6'4", the coupes headroom are not the best. In my opinion I would not go any older than a 1996.  The early models had those suck side pipes, no ABS, no traction control, no side windows, no outside door latches, leaking roof and the interior was not as refined, and of course they did not have the HP of the 1996 and newer Vipers.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

John_Kunkel

I had a '97 Viper GTS until early this year, sold it to get my '09 Challenger SRT8. I, too, wouldn't touch anything earlier than '96.

The '97 has the lopiest cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFqVL8PiE0
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 18, 2011, 05:06:31 PM

I had a '97 Viper GTS until early this year, sold it to get my '09 Challenger SRT8. I, too, wouldn't touch anything earlier than '96.

The '97 has the lopiest cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFqVL8PiE0

I hear what your saying.   Good video.

Thanks for the input guys! :2thumbs: