News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

does anyone repop the 69 tailight chrome trim?

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, December 01, 2011, 09:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

i lost the trim on my pas side light some years ago on a cruise :flame: i was hoping someone would eventually repop it.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on December 01, 2011, 10:16:15 AM
375 bucks.....ouch!

I thought that, too, but I saw them at Carlisle & they look nice.  :Twocents:

The only other option is to hope you find a clean used set that don't have the mounting studs broken off & spend a small fortune to get them re-chromed. Seems that 99% of the used ones are junk.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

The cost to redo pitted ones will likely end up more than that depending how bad they are.  It does sound like a lot but when you see them on the car it becomes moer worthwhile.

bill440rt

FYI, I was quoted $600 large ones by Paul's a few years ago to have a nice original pair rechromed.  :faint:

I ended up getting a set of repros. Not bad at all, but not great.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Mike DC

I'm generally not a fan of replacing metal parts with plastic but this seems like an ideal case for it.  I could picture it costing a lot less than $400/set that way. 

And when I had my used metal ones replated, they both cracked the chrome by the time I had flexed them enough to make them fit back onto the taillight lenses. 

resq302

Mike,

Are the ones that BEA sells chromed plastic or metal like original?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

stripedelete

Ooouch.  Mine cost $120 to replate.  I'll be sure to send my chrome guy a xmas card this year.

resq302

I actually had a spare set of the tail light trim rechromed and did not like how they turned out (yes, im a perfectionist) and they are just sitting on the shelf.  I guess if anyone wants to buy them, PM me.  Definitely sell for a lot less than what the repro's go for.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Quote from: stripedelete on December 02, 2011, 02:56:05 PM
Ooouch.  Mine cost $120 to replate.  I'll be sure to send my chrome guy a xmas card this year.

That is an unheard of bargain!

I also had a set I first sent to a local chromer in Newark, NJ. I think he estimated $250. Friggin' destroyed them. Came out like pure crap. He offered to cut the fee in half, nice guy he was. I told him they were completely unusable, so he finally waived it.
That's when I sent another spare set to Paul's for an estimate, and keeled over from sticker shock.
Went repro.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce