News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists

Started by 68X426, November 24, 2011, 12:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Rolling Stone just released their top 100 list. Quite the elite group of musicians made up the panel who selected. It's an enjoyable trip down memory lane: lots of bluesmens and old timers get plenty of recogition. The list will certainly piss some people off.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TK73

Cool with the list... not a fan of some of the top ones but Gilmour got #14 so I'm happy...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

69bronzeT5

Meh.....just another list with Jimi Hendrix as #1. Surprise surprise. ::)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Todd Wilson

Surpised I didnt see Uncle Ted in the list...............

Todd

zoecube

It was nice to see Robby Krieger get some recognition for his work.

maxwellwedge

Wow - I am reading this right - No Roy Buchanon? Gotta print this off and study it.

b5blue

chargermike

so many of these guys are good song writers but guitar players. john lennon sucked on guitar. notice not many metal players. seems to be 100 best blues players. some of the best came from the 80s. hair bands gave us so many great players. thats when the guitar player got his chance to shine. so many great solos. back then. the guitar has come along way since jimmy. he was good for his time. but no1. never got the jimmy craze. he had a great drummer. mitch mitchell was what got me into jimmy. oh well thats music. everyone has there own best list.

BrianShaughnessy

It's a list created by Rolling Stone...   it doesn't mean anything.   Same crowd that votes on the RRHOF inductees.

Some choices are obvious,   and some you wonder wtf they're smoking.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

NHCharger

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 25, 2011, 07:56:04 AM
It's a list created by Rolling Stone...   it doesn't mean anything.   Same crowd that votes on the RRHOF inductees.

Some choices are obvious,   and some you wonder wtf they're smoking.

:iagree: :iagree:

I had the misfortune of reading that rag while waiting for some tires to be mounted on my p/u the other day. I would have been better off reading the magazine on feminine hygiene.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Musicman

Quote from: chargermike on November 25, 2011, 07:50:38 AM
Seems to be 100 best blues players. some of the best came from the 80s. hair bands gave us so many great players. thats when the guitar player got his chance to shine. so many great solos. back then. the guitar has come along way since jimmy. he was good for his time. but no1. never got the jimmy craze.

Odd statement when you consider the fact that most of the technical guitarist of the 80's would give their left nut just to be able to play one note like Jimmi or Stevie. :shruggy:

It the words of the late great Louis Armstrong... Tain't what'cha do, its the way that'cha do it, that's what catches on.

Any computer can bang out a million perfect notes a second, play any musical score with absolute technical perfection, and it will always end up sounding just like electronic elevator music. You can go to any music store on the planet, on any given day of the week, and find 100 guys that can play guitar faster than a jackrabbit on a date, but none of the them can "play" guitar. They can play songs on a guitar, and they can play scales on guitar, but they are not guitar players.... they bore me to tears.

:Twocents:

P.S.: Who gives a F*** what Roll'n Stone has to say about anything anyway... I mean really!

Budnicks

:hah: I did like seeing Eric Clapton near the top  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

spoolinhard

Quote from: Musicman on November 25, 2011, 03:48:36 PM
Seems to be 100 best blues players. some of the best came from the 80s. hair bands gave us so many great players. thats when the guitar player got his chance to shine. so many great solos. back then. the guitar has come along way since jimmy. he was good for his time. but no1. never got the jimmy craze.

Odd statement when you consider the fact that most of the technical guitarist of the 80's would give their left nut just to be able to play one note like Jimmi or Stevie. :shruggy:

It the words of the late great Louis Armstrong... Tain't what'cha do, its the way that'cha do it, that's what catches on.

Any computer can bang out a million perfect notes a second, play any musical score with absolute technical perfection, and it will always end up sounding just like electronic elevator music. You can go to any music store on the planet, on any given day of the week, and find 100 guys that can play guitar faster than a jackrabbit on a date, but none of the them can "play" guitar. They can play songs on a guitar, and they can play scales on guitar, but they are not guitar players.... they bore me to tears.

:Twocents:

P.S.: Who gives a F*** what Roll'n Stone has to say about anything anyway... I mean really!

I disagree with your last statement about "real" guitar players. Not everyone in the world sets out to be the world's greatest guitar player. It doesn't mean that they don't have hundreds or even thousands of hours into their skill. I am as of recently turning back the brainwashing from past teachers and instructors. I always found it offensive that they could teach and yet insult other guitar players that were at a much higher level than their students. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
This reminds me of restoring your car yourself, and then someone comes along, pics it apart, and refuses to acknolwdge that you have any talent or put forth any hard work in the first place because it isn't perfect. I find this equally enfuriating as well!

I do agree with your last statement, who gives a f**k about what rolling stone thinks. Ultimately You have to not give a f**k what anyone thinks and achieve your own goals.
My :Twocents:

Big Sugar

I would saw it's a pretty good list BUT It's really unfair to actually try to put them in a ranking. They are all tremendously talanted players and to say one is better than another is pointless.

Good to see Iommi and Blackmore in the grouping.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Musicman

Quote from: spoolinhard on November 26, 2011, 12:06:17 PM
I disagree with your last statement about "real" guitar players. Not everyone in the world sets out to be the world's greatest guitar player. It doesn't mean that they don't have hundreds or even thousands of hours into their skill.

Your right, I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement. The intent was to point out that every once in a while, perhaps only once in a lifetime, you will come across someone who is truely gifted. These are the people that time never forgets. Which brings us to your next point of view...

Quote from: spoolinhard on November 26, 2011, 12:06:17 PM
I am as of recently turning back the brainwashing from past teachers and instructors.

Funny, I saw a video on Youtube once with Joe Sitriani talking about how Jimmi Hendrix affected his life. Long story short, it was Jimmi Hendrix that got him into music in the first place, and it was at the time of Jimmi's death that he told his parents that he was going to dedicate his life to music. He spent his entire life learning everything he could about music, music structure, guitars, techniques, etc, etc,etc... so that one day he would be skilled enough to play the way Jimmi did. Of course, along the way, all of his teachings eventually led him to discover that Jimmi knew absolutely nothing about music or musical structure, or proper guitar technique etc,etc,etc... He was just making it up as he went along. It took Joe a long time to come to grips with the fact that a guy like Jimmi Hendrix, who obviously knew nothing about what he was doing, could at the same time be an absolute Master, effortlessly creating an endless musical montage with every stroke. The music just flowed out of him.
It was also at this time that Joe finally realized that he would never be able to play the way Jimmi did, because he was now carrying around to much baggage… baggage in the form of musical knowledge and years and years of lessons which could not be untaught. All this baggage now holds him back, preventing him from ever becoming the kind of player he originally wanted to be.

chargerboy69

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 24, 2011, 01:28:22 AM
Meh.....just another list with Jimi Hendrix as #1. Surprise surprise. ::)

I knew he would be at the top without even looking.

Vai not even in the top 10?  :rotz:

some of the best came from the 80s. hair bands gave us so many great players. thats when the guitar player got his chance to shine. so many great solos. back then.

I agree. I doubt many from that era will ever make the list though.  At least Eddie made it into the top 10, kinda in that era.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Musicman

Ok... I just took a look at that stupid list... call it curiosity...
Maybe they intended it to be a list of the top 100 most influential guitar players.... but even then  :slap:  :lol:

Rolling Stone... Inquiring minds want to know  :smilielol: