News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Chgr defrost vent hose fitment issue

Started by Chatt69chgr, November 12, 2011, 08:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I've run into a weird problem.   Both of my defrost vent hoses literally fell apart as I was trying to pull them off of the plastic defrost vents.  So I ordered a new set of hoses from Hoover.  Supposed to fit 66-70 B-bodies.  They are nice hoses and are 2-1/4 inches dia.  This is the correct size for the defrost vent.  But the metal pipes they attach to on the heater box are 2-1/2 inches dia.  It looks like they just forced the originals on at the factory to make them fit.  I don't think these replacement hoses will force on as it were.  I'm wondering how to remedy this situation.  Has anyone else run into this? 
I'm thinking of looking for a plastic reducer that might be used with a shop vac or the like that I could slip over the metal output tubes on the heater box and that would reduce down to 2-1/4 inches.  I think this would work unless room is an issue.  Not sure since I have the heater box out already.  I will be taking the heater box completely apart for restoration.  If necessary, I could cut the existing output pipes off and replace them at that time.  Don't want to do this however.  Has anyone else run into this problem? 

twodko

Where did you get the new hoses? I would call around to Dante's, Herbs Parts, YO, R/T Speciaties etc for more  definitive information on this. When I did my heater box resto, the hoses slid over the vents engaging little press on barbed clips but they were the originals. Still, this doesn't sound right to me. :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bobfist

I had the same problem two Days ago. My hoses was way to long so we cut them.
Just put some lubrication on the heater pipe and then you you will be able to slip it over.
These hoses are much stiffer than the originals so be careful when you slide them onto the dash plastic vent. Hold your hand above the vent doing this or it will brake
Tony
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

bobfist

Not a great photo but here are the new hoses in place

www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

Cooter

If the above mentioned remedies do not work, try any local muffler shop as they can swell metal piping to any inside/outside diameter you need for a simple increaser/reducer....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chatt69chgr

I had thought about using exhaust tubing and doing what you mentioned.  In fact, a better way might be to just buy some 2-1/2 inch hose and make the diameter transition half way between the heater box and the defrost outlets.  I would use silicone seal to join the hoses to the metal transition so no clamps would be needed.  Now to find some 2-1/2 inch hose locally.