News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reading Fender Tags

Started by Benji, November 14, 2011, 06:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benji

After studying numerous 1969 Dodge Charger fender tags I have discovered the following. 

The tag reads bottom to top left to right and each "box" will all start with a letter (except the size of the radiator, more later.)

The first three digits are the engine, for example it may read E86 (a 440 HP engine!)

The next three are the transmission, for example D32, (a HD auto tranny.)

The next four are the car line, body style and price range, for examply XS29

The next three is the engine code, the year (9 being 1969) and where the car was built. Lots of them will read J9B.

The last six numbers is the numerical number of the car, 000001 would have been the very first car off the line.

Next row up, left to right.  The first digits will be the exterior color of the car and the next digits are the roof color.  If they are the same (for example F6 F6) it means the whole car is one color.  Next three digits will be the color of the upholsery (usually will be C5X or C6X or similar.)  The next will be two digits and are usually are X9 and this code is unknown.  The next three may be all numbers or the letter A,B, OR C followed by two numbers.  If your car was built in January through September the first digit will be a number (1 is January, February is 2 and so forth.)  If you have an A your car was built in October, a B it was built in November and a C it was built in December.  The next two numerals denote the date, so a 821 means that car was built on September 21 (1969.) The next six digits will all be numbers and is the vehicle order number. This number will also be found on the build sheet at top left, the third set of numbers from the left side (under the blue heading.)

Next row, third from the bottom.  Starting on this row and following all the numbers will be alphabetical starting with A and will also be numerical starting with 1, so this "box" will always be an A. Most seem to be A01 which is the light package.  The next three will probably also start with A but the next digit will be more than 01. A11 seems to be a popular one here.  The next "box" will be three digits and may be an A or a B with two numbers following. The next "box" will start with a B, C or D then two numbers again. The next box will be a B C or D and will again have two numbers following.  Last in that row will be yet another "box" with a letter and two numbers.

Next row up follows the rule that the first character will be a letter and will be further down the alphabet than was the last entry. C55 seems to be a popular one here, then the next "box" has three characters again and G33 seems to be a popular one here.  Next is three again and J25 is a popular one.  The next two in this row are usually M21 and M31 or something similar.

Next row up (and it may be the top row or it may not be, it depends on how many options were on your car, the more options the more lines needed to identify them.  You may even need two fender tags to get all of them in!) This row will probably start with an N followed by two numbers, then a P or an R with two numbers (P31 seems to be popular) then a V88. Every Charger I've seen a tag for has a V88 code here.  Then possibly a Y code (like Y39) then two numbers usually 26 which means a 26 inch radiator.  END means end of codes. EN2 means end of second shift. I've also seen some that read EN1.

You can find out what a Y39 or an M21 is by visting this site http://www.mymopar.com/6971opcodes.htm

I'm hoping that this will help you figure out your tag even if the letters are so rusty they can't be read.  For example if the previous box had a F in it and the next box appears to be a C it is most likely a G instead.  I'm told you may be able to read it better if you take it off and read it from the backside.  Steal some Clayola from your kids toy box and try pressing it into the back side then peel it out, you may be able to read it easier.

Benji

P.S. This is for cars built at Hamtramck, or B cars.

bakerhillpins

You can also hit up the 69 Charger registry for decode info. I made significant use of this site while looking for my Charger.  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/decoder.html

QuoteNext row up, left to right.  The first digits will be the exterior color of the car and the next digits are the roof color.  If they are the same (for example F6 F6) it means the whole car is one color.
Not all 69 cars have the exterior color listed twice. IIRC it is plant dependent but I am unsure of this. Vinyl top or not some will have the color listed twice.

QuoteThe next will be two digits and are usually are X9 and this code is unknown.
This is the upper door paint code and should reflect the color of the interior in the previous code. X9 is black upper door paint for a C6X/Black interior.

QuoteStarting on this row and following all the numbers will be alphabetical starting with A and will also be numerical starting with 1, so this "box" will always be an A.
The A options are actually "options packages" and not all cars have them. My 69 RT has no "A" packages and therefore no A codes on this line. Mine starts with B51 for power brakes. The codes do progress in alphabetical order.

QuoteA11 seems to be a popular one here.  
Actually that's the Charger 500 option package and is quite rare.  :2thumbs:

QuoteEvery Charger I've seen a tag for has a V88 code here.
V88 is a stripe delete option and should only be on RT car tags.

QuoteI'm told you may be able to read it better if you take it off and read it from the backside.  Steal some Clayola from your kids toy box and try pressing it into the back side then peel it out, you may be able to read it easier.
Other tricks include scanning in the backside and digitally reversing the image. Using a crayon and paper to do a rubbing, or even using something like silly putty pushed into the back side.

:cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

maxwellwedge

First number always starts with 100001 not 000001. And it would not necessarily be the first off the line.

V88 (Stripe Delete) will always appear on a 500/Daytona....I would say most R/T's are not stripe delete

Most you have looked at are J9B?   That would be a 69 Hemi......

A date of 821 on a 69 would be Aug 21, 1968