News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Might be buying a 69 charger that had a steel crank, need opinions...

Started by joedotts, November 18, 2005, 09:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joedotts

the seller said he has a 400 that would fit in it, but it was an original 383 then it had a 440. would this work out? what kind of power would it put out? thanks

-joe

Ghoste

I am guessing that there is no engine in it now.  There is nothing wrong with the 400.  They got a bad rap because of the cast crank bit but they can easily stand up for most street applications.  Power level depends on the 400.  Is it four barrel, is it stock, is it rebuilt, what year is it?   If you are running an automatic, make sure you get the torque converter with it as the 400's are externally balanced so they need a special damper and converter.

joedotts

ill try to get that information...

but anyways, what i know is that the engine only has 50,000 miles on it, and it will only be $500 + 250 shipping

Ghoste

joedotts

charger is $8000, in greattt shape. engine is $500, but 250 is for shippings and such

Ghoste

So there is no engine in the Charger now?  What are your future plans from a drivetrain standpoint?

joedotts

way down the road id like to throw in a 4 speed, but i am at a lack of funds

the 440 that was in the car is shot, thats why he is offering me this 400

i just want to know, will it work out and will it be an easy swap? because ive never heard of too many 400's in chargers

Ghoste

Well it's an easy swap.  A big block is a block more or less.  There is the converter issue I mentioned but the 400 is a good engine.  That seems a little on the high side for a used 400 but if it hasn't been abused in that 50,000, well, it could work for you for a long time.  They make an excellent basis for a low deck stroker if you see yourself doing that down the road.
You don't know what year it is do you?

joedotts

hm, not sure ill try to find out.

the engine is actually for $500, then shipping and all brings it to 750

thanks for all the help!

Ghoste

Still gotta figure it into the total up front cost.  How far from you is it?  Have you looked at engine options closer to home?

Blown70

$500 for a 400.... I am sorry I can go to a salvage yard all day and get 440's (not a steel crank) for 200 maybe less if the yard owner is having a good day....

What is exactly wrong with the 440?

Tom

Chryco Psycho

Steve P.

and just as long as NON of this deal has anything to do with HLPAG............
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69fourspd

I also agree with the 440.   :-\ Good luck either way though. 

Rocky