News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tire size ?

Started by RGA, October 22, 2011, 10:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGA

I just picked up a set of cragar SS rims today. Should look great on the 69. What tire size fits the best on the front ? They are 15 inch by 7s in the front and 15 by 8's in the rear. I already have the rear tires but can't decide what size fits the front the best. What did you guys use ?

UFO

I've got the same size rims.
Using 275/60 & 225/70.

RGA

Thanks, just found the thread on this sight dedicated to tire size. :2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

I put bigger tires (diameter) on the front and it's not horrible but not my favorite either. I think the front has too much sidewall.

235/70-15s up front and 275/60-15s in the rear.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

triple_green

235 60 15 front fatter looking than the 70 series.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

terrible one

Quote from: triple_green on October 24, 2011, 09:42:21 PM
235 60 15 front fatter looking than the 70 series.

I'm also using this size up front with a 7" wide rim. :yesnod:

Chryco Psycho

235 wide is 235 wide the 70-60-50 makes them shorter , the sidewall is 70% of the width , or 50% of the width

Budnicks

There is a great tool sold by "Percey" for like $70, from Summit Racing & others I'm sure, it will give you exact sizes, tires, back spacing & diameters of wheels etc... It's a great tool if your looking to get the most out of tire fitment, especially if you plan on filling the wheel wells a much as possible " with out, any rubbing or fitment issues "...  I use BFG TA's 245/60/15 on 15x7's w/3.25" back spacing up front & BFG TA's 295/50/15 on 15x9.5's w/4.5" back spacing in the rear, fit perfect never any issues could go larger with the right tire & rim combo....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

tan top

:iagree:  yep perceys wheel rite !!  got one/had one   a few years back  ,
its hours of fun  ,  don't forget to check all four corners   :Twocents:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: Budnicks on October 26, 2011, 09:41:47 PM
There is a great tool sold by "Percey" for like $70, from Summit Racing & others I'm sure, it will give you exact sizes, tires, back spacing & diameters of wheels etc... It's a great tool if your looking to get the most out of tire fitment, especially if you plan on filling the wheel wells a much as possible " with out, any rubbing or fitment issues "...  I use BFG TA's 245/60/15 on 15x7's w/3.25" back spacing up front & BFG TA's 295/50/15 on 15x9.5's w/4.5" back spacing in the rear, fit perfect never any issues could go larger with the right tire & rim combo....
"BFG TA's 245/60/15 on 15x7's w/3.25" back spacing up front". Do you still have that fender stiffener thingy in the inside of the fender still, or have you bendt it in for clearance?
69 charger RT

Budnicks

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on October 27, 2011, 11:26:07 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on October 26, 2011, 09:41:47 PM
There is a great tool sold by "Percey" for like $70, from Summit Racing & others I'm sure, it will give you exact sizes, tires, back spacing & diameters of wheels etc... It's a great tool if your looking to get the most out of tire fitment, especially if you plan on filling the wheel wells a much as possible " with out, any rubbing or fitment issues "...  I use BFG TA's 245/60/15 on 15x7's w/3.25" back spacing up front & BFG TA's 295/50/15 on 15x9.5's w/4.5" back spacing in the rear, fit perfect never any issues could go larger with the right tire & rim combo....
"BFG TA's 245/60/15 on 15x7's w/3.25" back spacing up front". Do you still have that fender stiffener thingy in the inside of the fender still, or have you bendt it in for clearance?

My car I have now is a 68 RR, but have used the same set up on my 68 Charger also with out removing or bending anything... The 68 Charger may have been 15x6's with 245/60/15's up front. it was a few years ago now, but no were near any rubbing issues, any were, at a stock ride height, if it was lowered a couple of inches it may become an issue...  That's why I recommended the "Percy tire fitment tool" it leaves nothing to chance, "I think if it was even the 245/60/15's on 7" wheels it would still be ok"

mysil bergsprekken

"I think if it was even the 245/60/15's on 7" wheels it would still be ok" <--Yep I think so too.
but I think I will get the percy wheelrite thing to check all clearances first before I get new tires and rims.

I am thinking of the setup with the: Hoosier Racing Tire Pro Street, LT 26.5 x 10.5R15 up front. I believe this might be pushing it, since they (according to a tire calc online) is the same as an Actual size of    267/57 R15.
And I want to put it an an 7 or 8 inch rim.

What do you think???

69 charger RT

Budnicks

Get the tool it's cheap insurance... Less returned goods... these cars have a ton of room in the wheel wells...