News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd Gen rear rims - specifically 10" width

Started by sportony, June 19, 2009, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportony

Have been looking around in the archives, but no specific pics on just 10" width rear rims.  Anyone who is using 10" rims in the back of their 2nd gen charger got pics ?  Would really appreciate input on backspacing, and pics from directly behind the car would help a lot. If you can lend any advice or comments, they would greatly be appreciated.  Need to relocate springs ? Trying to do some homework for my 68 .......

:cheers:
Thanks,

TD

mopar_nut_440_6

Welcome.

Do a search on this one as it has been answered a ton of times. You will find many many posts with lots of pictures.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

sportony

Mass_Mopar

copy and pasted my reply out of a previous thread asking the same question...

Yep, been discussed several times

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33920.0/all.html

I have 18x9.5" Centerlines with 295/45/18 Nitto NT555s.  I have 5" backspace and I rub on big bumps (really need to go through rear suspension though. New HD rear springs + shocks would help).  Personally I think 5.25" backspacing is perfect, though some go 5" or 5.5" and have no problems.  5" for me = too close to outer wheel well, but as I measured, 5.5" would rub the springs.  Each car is a little different so you should measure your setup before ordering anything.
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

terrible one

15x10 and AT LEAST a 295 tire will fit back there with no rubbing as long as you have 5-5.5" of backspacing. I know numerous people that fit fine with both 5" and 5.5" backspacing and a 295 tire. I'm pretty sure it's even possible to go up to a 305 tire size if you got with bigger wheels.

CB

The tires are 295/50 BF-Goodrich. The rims are 15/10 4-1/4 backspace.  No rubbing what so ever. Even with big Al in the backseat giving me traction  .. The tire does not stick out past the quarter. I wouldn't want to be called pinchey..... Thinking about going to M/T's as the BFG tire's are a  pretty hard compound .......  by VEGASMIKE

his car looks killer!!!

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: CB on July 01, 2009, 01:16:29 PM
The tires are 295/50 BF-Goodrich. The rims are 15/10 4-1/4 backspace.  No rubbing what so ever. Even with big Al in the backseat giving me traction  .. The tire does not stick out past the quarter. I wouldn't want to be called pinchey..... Thinking about going to M/T's as the BFG tire's are a  pretty hard compound .......  by VEGASMIKE

his car looks killer!!!

That is a nice looking car! That stance is great. From that angle there looks like there is not much more space for a bigger tire.
But are you sure about the backspace? Considering vexers measurement guide your tire should rub with a "4-1/4 backspace".
See photo:
69 charger RT

Brass

That tool is really great but it isn't law when it comes to back-spacing.  When I was researching this, I seem to recall that the stock Cragar SS rims did indeed have 4.25" back-space.  (Vegas Mike's car was one I looked at too.)  I ordered my Magnum 500's with 5" back-space just to be safe and I think it looks great.  Also, there is some variance in tread width between the various tire makers.  BFG's made the widest 295's - which I don't believe you can get anymore.