News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Charger S/E Paint Choices?

Started by minncharger, October 02, 2011, 08:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minncharger

I am close to finishing up my restoration with a new paint Job.
The Car has a rebuilt 383 with new Edelbrock Magnum heads, dual exhaust 1406 Carb.

Question for all you experts is as follows:

The cars fender tag says:
V1W (Full Vinyl Top)
V7W (White Vinyl Stripe)
E5B5 (Buckets,Medium Blue Cloth/Vinyl Seats)
GB2  Dark Blue Metallic? (don't know where this goes, or if this is exterior paint code)
GB7  Light Blue Metallic? (don't know where this goes, or if this is exterior paint code)

The previous owner painted it all blue (took out whatever was left of the White Vinyl)

My question is to finish my restoration, is it advisable to do the roof back in full white Vinyl?
Minnesota is not too kind to Vinyl Tops so I am not sure.
I though of using matching White Paint to end up with the WhiteTop/Blue Body like the tag says.
Then I would also add the decorative white Stripe along the sides.

My son says do it in Red with Black Top and wider Black Stripe.
(This would mean I spend a lot of money redoing the interior....)

The car was a California car so there is no underbody rust.
There is a little on top on the Pillars. That is why I want to redo the Paint.
The Engine was painted Blue but when I rubbed the numbers  on the engine block to get a better look at the numbers, the blue just flaked off. So I would also repaint the engine and bay.....

Any suggestions?

minncharger

I forgot to attach pic

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

Top Banana

I don't think I have ever seen a 71 SE with a full vinyl top.  I think the canopy top looks awesome on these cars.  That is what I would do.

Scaregrabber

I think 71 SE's look awesome because of the half vinyl top. The full vinyl top like yours was a no cost option as I recall. If it were my car I would put a half vinyl on it, which means you would have to find the chrome trim and install it. I might be tempted to go with a black vinyl top rather than white too, but that's for you to decide. Make sure any rust is taken care of and painted over before you install the vinyl top, the factory didn't paint them and that's why they rust underneath the vinyl.

Sheldon

minncharger

I have  been looking for the trim pieces but no luck yet.

Does any one know how to decode the colors on my fender tag?

GB2  Light Blue Metallic? (don't know where this goes, or if this is exterior paint code)
GB7  Dark Blue Metallic? (don't know where this goes, or if this is exterior paint code)

Is one of them for the dash?

maxwellwedge

Post all the numbers on the tag - that will help us put the codes under the right category.

minncharger

Here is the partially decoded Fender Tag

N95      CA Emission Control
R11      AM Radio (2 Watts)
V7W      White Accent Stripe
Y16      Sales Bank
26      Why is this number all by itself?
G33      OS LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51      Air Conditioning with Heater
J52      Inside Hood Release
L37      Concealed Headlamps
M21      Roof Rail Drip Mouldings
M31      Belt and Hood Mouldings
V1W       Full Vinyl Top WHITE
U      USA
B51      Power Brakes/Disc Brakes
C16      Console with Woodgrain Panel
C55      Bucket Seats
G31      OS RH Manual Standard Mirror

GB2      Light Blue Metallic. Exterior. Where is this color?
GB7      Dark Blue Metallic. Exterior. Where is this color?

E5B5      Economy/Bucket Seats/ClothVinyl/Medium Blue

108      Build Date Jan 8th?
156660      What is this number?
E61      383 cid 2 Barrel V8 290HP
D32      Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission HDA A727 Torqueflite
WP29      Charger S/E 2Dr Sports Top
L1E      Engine Build Plant California?
xxxxxx   Serial Number

JohnnyBee

It would be the order of how the paint code is on the fender tag, (easy to tell on build sheet) but its the body color and the interior paint code for the upper door frame.

minncharger

So the order by which the color codes appear on the tag is

GB2 E5B5 GB7 .......

So GB2 (light blue Metallic) is the lower body paint and GB7 (Dark blue Metallic) is the Interior Paint Color.

E5B5 is the trim/upholstery... (Economy/Bucket Seats/ClothVinyl/Medium Blue)

Does this make sense?

JohnnyBee

You almost got it

GB2 would be the body color over all

GB7 would be the Interior Paint Color on the door just like the Black on the two images

You would still have a White Vinyl top

minncharger

Thanks JohnnyBee,

Where would one find the paint codes for these that I can take to the paint shop?

Also wanna know if there is a place to buy new or old Trim.
I am missing wheel wells, and Vinyl Trim pieces.

Lastly what is the consensus on doing White PAINT roof exactly where the Vinyl goes.
Then Adding the White stripe like the Tag.
If the result sucks, I could then put the Vinyl as it was originally.

Kind of like the attached image.

71_Charger_R/T

Which moldings are you looking for? If you need the "Canopy" molding, I have a couple extras. I'm in Minnesota which I presume you are too. Just my opinion, but I would keep it blue and go with a real vinyl regardless of  full or canopy as I'm guessing the car will see limited outdoor weathering for the remainder of it's life.(just paint the roof good with the rest of the car before putting on vinyl and you'll have double protection)  Again, just my opinion,  I'm biased..... here's mine.

For the wheel opening moldings, you can get reproductions many places....here's one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-1972-Charger-Coronet-SuperBee-Wheel-Molding-Trim-Sale-/360400715223?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACharger&hash=item53e98e7dd7

minncharger

71_Charger_R/T your car looks very nice!

I need the 4 wheel trim as well as the Full Canopy trim.

Yours is a 1/2 canopy. So do you have spare 1/2 or full canopy trim?

I did see the reproduction's on the wheel trim.
They are aluminium instead of stainless steel.
I am not sure whether to get these or look for used.

By the way what color code is yours and is it done in a factory color?

I have yet to see a good picture of a B2 (Light Blue Metallic) and B7 (Dark Blue Metallic) combo like mine was originally.

There was a picture of a B2  on this website but it looks too baby blue for my taste.
Check the chart below

Whereabouts in MN are you?
I could drive up and take a look at the trim u have available.

71_Charger_R/T

Minncharger, Thanks for the compliment. Yes, mine is painted original in B5 Brite blue metallic, but the B2 glacial(or light) blue is a beautiful color and not the most common color you'll find. I have the "half canopy" trim (technically, a canopy or Landau vinyl is only the half vinyl otherwise it is considered a full vinyl) and I may have access to another full vinyl trim if you are going to go that way. (depends on which way my nephew is going to go on his '71) The wheel opening trim you need is aluminum. the repro is aluminum as was the original. I wish it was originally stainless as I could more easily repair mine. Mine are all original with the exception of the right rear that I found New Old Stock. I am up in Duluth Mn. if you are coming up to this neck of the woods, look me up & get in touch with me , we'll share notes.

minncharger

71_Charger_R/T Duluth would be a long haul.
But I do pass by when I go to my annual Eagle Lake (Ontario) Fishing trip June/July......

I am getting the Aluminium trim for the wheels.
Will keep looking for the Full Canopy Trim.

My Chrome bumpers are pitted with white specks but not too bad other wise.
Any recommendations from anyone reading this on whether its possible to buff them show condition or is the only way to re-chrome?

I am attaching the picture of a guy that claims his is B2 (Light Blue Metallic).

Is this an accurate representation of what B2 should look like?

71_Charger_R/T

Re-chrome is pretty much the only solution to a pitted or peppered bumper. Yes that is B2 lite blue metallic.  :drool5:   NIIIIIIICE!

minncharger

I can't get myself to like the B2.
Its too baby blue! Too docile....

I am probably gonna go with B5.

Anyone knows if a Pro paint shop will understand B5 or do I have to give them actual PPG Codes?

71_Charger_R/T

I shot mine in Dupont Chroma-base, they didn't have a formula for it so I had them mix some Centari that matched perfect (squirted the trunk and floor pans with it) then had them take a few snapshots of that to match the color for the base coat. B5 is a little different between some years so I would specify the year of B5 you are going for.  :Twocents:

71charger

Quote from: Scaregrabber on October 09, 2011, 11:33:40 PM
I think 71 SE's look awesome because of the half vinyl top. The full vinyl top like yours was a no cost option as I recall. If it were my car I would put a half vinyl on it, which means you would have to find the chrome trim and install it. I might be tempted to go with a black vinyl top rather than white too, but that's for you to decide. Make sure any rust is taken care of and painted over before you install the vinyl top, the factory didn't paint them and that's why they rust underneath the vinyl.

Sheldon

Do just the SE's come with the half vinyl roof on the 71s? not trying to hijack the thread
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

71_Charger_R/T

Yes in the early part of '71 only the SE could be had with the Canopy or "Landau" vinyl roof, then later in the year they introduced the "Topper" that was a lower end or more economical package that included the half vinyl. My car has the Canopy because the original owner ordered it that way and was told "no can do" so he ordered it without any vinyl and had the dealership install it for him, and I have restored the car to "as delivered" to original owner.

71charger

thats weird... My car was made may 5th 1971 but has the "topper" package... Its a 318 LA car and it still has the mountings for the wheel lip and bottom side trim
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

hemi-hampton

You got 2 different B5 blues. One is EB5 & the other is GB5.  The EB5 from 1969&70 is lighter then the GB5 from 71+. I've seen many people make the mistake of using the wrong one. LEON.